Clean exhaust message won't go away.

Rate this topic

20160803 154121

Not sure why it's upside down, but you get the jist of it.

2015 F450 cab/chassis. IPC reads Exhaust filter 40% Clean filter y/n. Select yes and it will run OCR for 10 minutes, cycle the key and the message returns. Same thing if I perform a manual regen. First time I ran it DPF load was 338%, which shocked me, but is apparently normal on the cab/chassis. After 2 manual regens the DPF load dropped to 81% on IDS. Message in IPC dropped to 10%. Cycled the key and the 40% with clean is back. There is a reprogram for this, but it didn't fix it. Currently waiting on Hotline response. Any one come across this.

A little bit of information I did find out. Pick-up models calculations are different that cab/chassis calculations.

Pickup: IPC uses 0-100%, PCM uses 0-100%.

Cab/chassis: IPC uses 0-100%, PCM uses 0-300%.

Datalogger pid will not always show the 0-300% calculation though, mine matched the IPC, but the manual regen calculation showed the 0-300% calculation.

Hotline led to no problems found. Sent them the picture of the IPC. 

Not sure why it's upside down, but you get the jist of it.

I have found when take pics with my phone & post them to DTS it works better if I email the pic to me then I can download it & make sure it is rotated properly. Maybe this is not the case with your pic??

Since I do not have the Vin does TSB 15-0057 apply?

Has a new MAF and MAP.  PCM reprogram. Even tried blank path reprogram with another PC that didn't have any calibration files on it. Thing is, it doesn't need to regen. It will not regen by itself. The message just never clears. It was in at another dealer when I was on holidays and they found faulty MAF and MAP sensors and released the truck. Now it's on my door step.

Performed PMI and As-Built on IPC-no change. 

Hotline seems to be focusing on the IPC. Although nothing they have me do is working. They gave me a code for manual As-Built data entry, that doesn't work either, this IPC will not do anything except a configuration reset. Still waiting on next step.

What is the guided routine test? Is this an IDS option or WSM procedure? Nevermind...found it.

Hotline seems to be focusing on the IPC.

I am not sure how much confidence I would put in the Hotline.....They tried to hire me :crazy:

Shouldn't there be a PID to tell if the message is being commanded on?

Due to the filter percentage on the dash matching the PDF load PID in the PCM, we have assumed the IPC software went stupid and because there is no option to "Reprogram" the IPC it is getting a new one. FWIW..PMI and As-Built only reset the configuration data, neither actually does anything to the calibration software.

• 2 weeks later...

So...after a new cluster, various programming issues, multiple failed blank path programming attempts, configuration failures, a new PCM, more programming issues, more configuration issues, Hotline on the phone walking me through a key off, as-built programming session(which was successful) and the cluster still hasn't changed, I was instructed to drive it with the hopes it would regen and reset the message. 5 minutes into the drive I get reduced power and the engine won't rev past 1300 RPM. Cycled the key, P0234 set, boost gauge reading 40 PSI, MAP_A pid reads 52.2. New turbo, 75 KM road test, Exhaust filter climbs to 65%, still asks to CLEAN Y/N. Parking lot OCR through the cluster, Filter drops to 15% and message resets...All is good! Still not sure what happened, but it's fixed and we are happy.

Edit: Too good to be true, message is back in IPC.

• 1 month later...

So, here we go again. Same issue with the cluster, but now the engineers are sure it's a module logic software issue that's misinterpreting the data wrong. Plus the turbo I put on is noisy now, howls like when they chip off the impeller and sound like a jet engine, and P132B is back. Field service engineer is now involved, he wants me to fix the turbo issue first before he makes an appearance here at the dealership.

Heads up guys, Ambulance prep F-Series are now able to perform OCR at 30% full. EPA approved and included in latest update. Still not sure why P132B keeps coming back though...PPT KA passed and turbo is quiet again.

• 3 weeks later...