Repeat front crank seal leak.

Rate this topic

When this came in to us originally it had an aftermarket seal with a speedy sleeve. One of our techs installed the Ford seal. Now it's back leaking. First I checked to confirm correct installation, as seen in the first picture. Then I checked crankshaft end play, just over 0.0003. Removed the seal and found some gouges on the crank side of the sleeve and the crank is all scored up as well. Not sure who damaged the crank, but I am suspecting this was enough the cause the leak.

20160809 085616

20160809 093707

20160809 093727

Price out a crank, and quote the labour to re and re the crank. This ought to be good.

Ya, my boss would love that. This is on our dime now. I took the oil pump off and managed to get the scoring cleaned up pretty good and filled in the little gouges with anaerobic sealer. 

In addition, I'm always suspicious of crankcase pressure with a repeat leak. Probably too late to do a crankcase pressure test.......

:grin:

Thought about that, but in the past they always blow out the glow plug grommet first. Will check after the repair though, just to be sure.