growling noise from bellhousing area......

Rate this topic

Hey guys I got a strange one here I am at a loss with.   98 E-350 with a 7.3 diesel. Came in for a leaking brake line and a service. I replaced all the rear lines and hoses, bled the system. changed the oil and fuel filters, greased her up. Fired it up and everything normal. Took it for a test drive and all was fine. got back and parked by the shop door and could hear an abnormal metal sound.   I would describe the sound as when the bendix doesn't release and the starter is spinning with the engine. I shut it off and restarted twice and the noise was still there. I assumed a stuck starter bendix so pulled the inspection cover off and started it back up and the noise is really loud now. checked the starter and it has disengaged and the end of the shaft is not spinning like it is stuck. I pulled the dog house back out thinking when I was crawling around I knocked a rock in an inspection hole but ther is now holes up top. I doublechecked everything I was near with the dog house off and cant see or feel anything abnormal. I felt the transmission and engine and all associated areas and cant feel the noise, if you know what I mean. I have looked around and don't see anything like a cracked flex plate or something like that and it starts just fine. The shift cable feels stiff so I thought maybe it was not completely in or out of gear but no matter where I move the shift lever the noise is the same.    I am really at a loss here and not sure where to go next.   Has anybody run into something like this before, could a bearing or something be out in the torque converter that is doing this????  I am open to suggestions, thanks guys

What Brad said. And yes there is a TSB for the concern. You can diagnose this easily by verifying the noise goes away while driving off - I think around 1500 RPM the noise stops. If you have a breakout box you can ground the TCC solenoid while idling in Park - this applies the converter and the noise stops. This condition does not affect the transmission operation however the noise is very annoying. I am surprised there are still some of these rolling around out there.

Ok I will check it out when I can get back to it. It will just all of a sudden start doing this?? This van has been neglected severely. I never noticed the noise when it came in but after the test drive when i parked by the shop to double check for any leaks after the brake lines and what not is when i noticed it

Do you guys happen to have a tsb number or the tsb available?  I would like to read about this.   It doesn't go away when you accelerate away but it does sound like it gets less as you accelerate away from a stop.  Is it something he needs to do right away or it just makes this noise now kind of deal?   He is on a super tight budget and I know he is going to ask me.  Since I have never come across this before I will take any advice you guys have on the subject.    Thank you!!!

So is this an issue that needs to be repaired right away to prevent other problems?? Or is this a noise that is there but not detrimental to operation or the transmission? This van is early 99, in fact the build date is 5/98. I do not have a breakout box available to ground the tcc pin but the noise does get less as you drive it away from a stop but does not completely go away on the short drive around the lot here anyway.