Intermittent p246c

Rate this topic

I have a truck in here with a little over 100k. Customer saying blows white smoke every so often. It was in 6 months ago for same issue with no codes and saying oil over full. Verified oil ok, no fuel contamination. I drove 30 miles last time, checked dpf pids, maf sensor, nothing found. Customer took the vehicle, now its back with same complaint and he thinks its taking too long to complete regens. Distance since last regen complete and request look ok. Has a p246c stored only, run through the pinpoint test and find nothing wrong. Drove it 50-60 miles with out issue, dpf pressure pid reading .13 at idle can states clean. Ran a manual regen and completes. While road testing under wide open throttle, dpf state reading clean. Has anybody replaced dpf for this code alone unlike tsb  12-06-08 stating to replace only if p246c and p2463 stored? Is there a way to determine if the OC is working properly or if its not lighting off and burning fuel properly? Its an 08 by the way and pcm level is current.

• 2 months later...

Never checked. Everything else looked ok, fuel trims, regen request and complete etc. I suspect oc and dpf. Honestly i hate when one of these come in for regen issues. Customer took it and hasn't been back since.

I agree, the first thing I check is the hours and avg MPH. 30+ is preferred, under 15 is a waving red flag. 20ish usually won't give trouble. I've seen many in my fleets under 10, the newest low is a truck with 5551 miles, 12,032 hours.  Do the math.

:grin: