2001 f150 with 5.4

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

Hey guys I got one of the above with a bunch of oil in the valley. Looks sort of like the head gasket is about the only place it could be coming from......or is there a secret can't see it type if plug or fitting somewhere that does this? Never been into these before so looking for a little advice here. If this is the case what kind of time are you guys charging for this job, tips, any special tools required? I would turn this away but it's a good friend of mine, one of those after hours help a friend type jobs. But if it's a major pain in the ass, need a huge amount of expensive tools type of deal I will advise he take in somewhere. Thanks for the input guys.

All the ones I have seen have been headgaskets. Driver's side leaks into the valley, passenger side leaks out on the exhuast manifold. Personally if the leak is slow I wouldn't mess with it.

It's been a slow no big deal thing until last week. Now it's filled the valley n leaving a puddle on the garage floor...... What's a fair time for this job? Any required tools to do tips? I have the ford service information on DVDs. so no problem there.

I will let someone more experienced offer tips. I am thinking '01 5.4L..depending on the mileage, does it have a lot of timing chain rattle, are the valve guides getting worn, is a valve spring going to break... I know I think too much :)

Last two of these I did, customers authorized pulling the motors. 

Both with mileages of 140k and near 200k, the block surface was in such rough shape that I felt no gasket would have ever sealed there.

Both required head work, broken stud extraction and chains, guides, tensioners. 

They both got remans from Ford. 

When I was in SC, we put head gaskets on them and pulled the cabs to do it, super easy job

When I was in VT, we pulled the valve covers and retorqued the heads with quite amazing results, I was skeptical the first one out.

When I was in VT, we pulled the valve covers and retorqued the heads with quite amazing results, I was skeptical the first one out.

That is a very interesting thought.

Do you really think the oil leak is being caused by under-torque from the factory and not the guy at the factory setting the heads on a rail as Ford claims?

I don't think it is an under torque issue, and I spoke with an engineer at the assembly plant back in 1999 when this issue first cropped up. He told me it was an impurity issue with some loose metal particles interfering with the gasket sealing.

Maybe re-torquing crushes everything down a bit, kinda like cranking down on a brake caliper banjo bolt to seal a leak?

What torque did you retorque the heads to? I believe the wsm has a torque turn procedure for them.......

30 ft-lbs. and then two more steps of 90 degree turns each step.