Biodiesel in a 6.4

Rate this topic

RyanG

Bio is a little heavier viscosity than regular diesel, so it may work the HP pump a bit harder.  However, the biggest problem with Bio is that the quality degrades quickly.  Once that starts happening it will form long strings of fatty acids...they clump together and get big enough to be visible...can plug fuel filters...can form varnish in the cylinders...it's a risk telling someone they can use it.  It even helps water pass through the water separator, but testing has shown that water doesn't necessarily harm the fuel system.  

I see the 6.7s are rated for B20.  As long as the fuel is good quality, it will run on it without any troubles.  Even B100 wouldn't hurt it, but it's not up to us to make that recommendation.  

I've run B100 in a few Common Rail engines, but it's a risk, and I'd never advise a customer to do it.

As far as the DPF, the DOE tested Bio in various concentrations and it showed regens could take place at slightly lower temps, although they weren't able to explain why.

Joe

I told the customer I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Apparently they already put it in and now there bringing it in to have me drain the tank and replace the filters. Lots of good info, thanks Joe.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't recommend or run it.

If it's absolutely necessary, bio that's VERIFIED at B5 is i believe the MAX allowed in a 6.4

Ford has independently tested pumps marked B5 as high as B90.