You can't make this stuff up

Rate this topic

YukonTyler

Half way through the morning I come up for a rubbing/howling noise from a 2015 3.5 turbo F150. I road test for a moment and find that when turning right (at idle, vehicle speed ~10 km/h) there is a definite howl from the left front. Engage 4x4 and the noise disappears. I confirm this a few times, come back to the shop and slam dunk the l/front hub for bad needle bearings which support the CV axle.

Prior to installing the hub - during the process of hoisting the truck - one of our fifth year apprentices wanders over and reports that he drove the truck earlier and suggested that a journeyman take the RO. He confirmed the howling noise on his road test, and confirmed that it exhibited the noise at idle. I then asked him what he thought it might be. He reported "turbo flutter at idle" - specifically from the right side turbo.

Turbo noise. At idle. Face palm. This is a 33 year old apprentice who has been at our store for 5+ years. Zero web courses done. Zero training completed. Next to zero aptitude. Somehow he is paid ~90% of my hourly rate.

Only somewhat related, later in the day the police arrive at the dealership. Turns out that this same apprentice and his step-brother got into a dust up over the weekend. The apprentice is pressing charges. His step brother happens to be an (idiot) journeyman and happens to work in the bay next to him.

I can hear the banjos playing in my head right now. I don't know if it's in the water or whatnot, but I've got to get the hell out of here. Leon are you guys hiring? haha

Sorry Tyler, no go. Running a full shop at the moment. I'm not going to lie Tyler...You don't want to work here anyways. That's another tale for another time.....