Ecoboost injector seal installation?

Rate this topic

Matt Saunoras

I've got a 2.7 here getting a left head and obviously I need to swap the fuel rail over to the new head.

I'm having trouble sizing the new lower Teflon seals on the old injectors. I'm using the correct tools but I can't get sizing tool over the o-ring without distorting it.

Anyone done any of these and have any ideas? This would be the first ecoboost I ever worked on.

Yeah I found the updated tool but admittedly I already screwed up 3 of the 4 new o-rings before I realized what I was doing wrong. On the 4th try I used the 303-1567 sizer but it distorted the o-ring slightly too. I guess I just need to try again.

I did get this one figured out, forgive me if I interpreted the WSM wrong but I could not get these 2.7 seals to size with the WSM method. When I would try to push the sizer over the new seal it would slide it further down the tapered portion of the injector tip distorting the seal.

After removing the old seals I installed the 303-1567 tool onto the injector, then slid the new seal on using the expander. I basically sized the seals backwards which worked fine.

Glad you got it figured out. This is what I found in wsm.

NOTICE: Do not lubricate the new lower Teflon® fuel injector seals.

Install the Arbor on the fuel injector tips.

Use Special Service Tool: 310-207 Installer, Fuel Injector Seal Assembly.

NOTICE: Once the Teflon® seal is installed on the Teflon® Seal Guide, it should immediately be installed onto the fuel injector to avoid excessive expansion of the Teflon® seal.

NOTE: Make sure that new lower fuel injector Teflon® seals are installed.

Install the new Teflon® seals onto the Arbor, using the Pusher Tool (part of the Fuel Injector Seal Installer), slide the Teflon® seals along the Arbor.

Using the Pusher Tool, slide the Teflon® seals off of the Teflon® Seal Guide and into the groove on the fuel injectors.

Use Special Service Tool: 310-207 Installer, Fuel Injector Seal Assembly.

inj seal installer.jpg

NOTE: Make sure the Teflon® seal is fully seated in the groove on the fuel injector before sizing the Teflon® seal.

Some Teflon® seal massaging with your fingers before the Teflon® seal sizer tool is installed will aid in installing the Teflon® seal sizer tool.

Position the Teflon® seal sizer tool with the larger opening towards the Teflon® seal. Push while turning the Teflon® seal sizer tool 180 degrees.

Use Special Service Tool: 303-1567 Sizer, Teflon Seal.

Once the Teflon® seal sizer tool is installed, check and make sure the Teflon® seal is in the sizing portion of the Teflon® seal sizer tool.

After one minute, turn the Teflon® seal sizer tool back 180 degrees and remove.

seal installer.jpg

• 3 months later...

I figured out why the 2.7 is harder to put these seals on then the other engines. Its because of area near the arrow. If you put the seal on then try putting sizer on it just pushes the seal up and ruins the seal. The shop manual picture shows the way the other injectors are.

2.7inj.png

3.5 inj.png