M-T a 6.7 upper oil pan reseal?

Rate this topic

Matt Saunoras

Hey guys I've got a customer with a fully loaded 15 F-550 that would like to schedule an appointment for an upper oil pan reseal under warranty.  The problem I have is there's no way I can lift this truck high enough to get the trans out the bottom. 

Would it in any way be acceptable or would you ever try to M-T this repair for a partial cab lift and engine removal out the front? 

#1-partial cab lifts on 6.7L engine removals are not necessary. #2- Talked to my service manage, he said that you can contact the warranty department and explain that, due to the set-up of the truck, you are unable to remove the transmission as outlined in the WSM and that engine removal is the only viable option. They should pay.  

Don't know what to do with this one. The service manager doesn't want to do it if we can't get paid and regardless of which way I do it I'm going to be way over on time.

This company hasn't brought me any work in a while but they once were my best fleet customer. They didnt buy the truck here but only because of the way it's upfitted

I've run into similar issues with some bucket trucks over the years.  I didn't contact Ford prior to the repair.  I just perform the repair as necessary, charge MT as necessary and support it with documentation.  I was never so much as questioned about it.

Last one I had that was like that was this cylinder head on the F-550 u-haul car carrier. The car carrier was way to huge and way to much of a pain in the ass to remove in order to do a cab off and because the hood wouldnt open all the way it was almost impossible to do the head in cab. We had to remove the engine and in order to remove the engine we had to go to a metal fabrication shop and have them cut a square piece of tubing in order to extend the reach of our engine crain to 12 feet long in order to lift the engine past the bumper and then the car carrier brackets. We documented it all (I thought the customer "u-haul" should have paid the extra time) and ford paid the claim, no questions asked.

I think in total I had somewhere around 30 hours and the cylinder head paid like 18 or so. It was like an excess of 10 hour of "MT" and ford paid it!

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG