leaking oil around plastic piece on oil pan

Rate this topic

If it hasn't been over tightened and the inner piece is still flat, I have been able to replace the oring with out removing the pan. Leave the dipstick in place to hold the inner piece or use a small pair of needle nose vise grips to hold it from falling in. 

Otherwise if it has been overtightened there is an aftermarket company who makes one that clamps on the outside. The only downside is that you drop the old adapter into the bottom of the oil pan and leave it there till the end of time or the pan comes off.

I have never removed the oil pan to do one of these. As mentioned, leave the dipstick installed to hold onto the inner piece. Since I usually had to replace the dipstick as well I found that cutting the dipstick about 6-8" from the oil pan makes it easier to handle and maneuver to replace the o-ring. and then reassemble. DO REMEMBER TO MARK THE POSITION OF THAT INNER PART AS IT CAN GO IN AT TWO DIFFERENT INDEXED POSITIONS.  It has to do with the angle of the dipstick which is different for F-Series or E-Series.  When you get into the job you will see exactly what I mean.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/1027-95-f-450-73-oil-leak/?p=54046

The 96' I had to do the pieces were very corroded, I had to re-file the threads on the piece inside the pan. One diesel tech I know cleans everything up & fills the area with that oil pan RTV.