2014 MKZ Stubborn C2007:92 After Rear Brake Pad & Rotor Replace

Rate this topic

mchan68

I have a 2014 Lincoln MKZ originally in for a #2 service with only 27,000 kms. (16,800 miles) which needed, and sold a set of rear pads and rotors on. Customer immediately returned the next day complaining of the Parking Brake Malfunction indicator setting, as soon as he put the parking brake on. Before I go into this, I should point out that I've already replaced numerous sets of rear pads and rotors on these post-'12 body style Fusion/MKZ vehicles with EPB up until now without issue. And yes, before anyone asks, I did put this one into Service mode prior to the pad and rotor replace. Checked for and retrieved DTCs C2005:92 and C2007:92. Performed PPTs 'A' and 'E' of Workshop manual section 206-05. Performed Electric Parking Brake apply and release function several times with success every time. Even returns a PASS result when performing self-test on ABS module. But as soon as the parking brake is applied and released, the Parking Brake Malfunction indicator illuminates right away accompanied by the audible warning. Self-testing the ABS module immediately returns C2007:92 right away. So here's what I've done so far, without any further success at resolving the issue. I've replaced both the right rear parking brake actuator and right rear caliper (thus eliminating anything I "touched" during the pad and rotor replace). I have swapped the parking brake jumper harnesses (from 14A005 harness to parking brake control) left and right (identified as 2B254 in workshop manual but identified as part number DG9Z-14A411-A in parts catalogue) temporarily. Retested, and yet again C2007:92 resets right away upon releasing the parking brake using the driver control. I have load tested circuits CCB18 (YE-GY) and CCB19 (GN-BN) by supplying B+ and B- directly to those circuits at C135 (ABS module connector) and a halogen bulb connected to the right rear parking brake control connector. The bulb lights up nice and bright. I have swapped circuits CCB18 (YE-GY) and CCB19 (GN-BN) in C135 with CCB16 (WH-VT) and CCB17 (BU-GN), essentially switching the left and right parking brake + and - circuits at the module. Sure enough, doing so and repeating the steps mentioned above now returns C2008:92. So I figure there HAS TO be an issue with either the circuit to the right rear parking brake control or bad-out-box new caliper and/or parking brake actuator (what are the chances???) at this point. Next step, peel off strands on insulation to circuits CCB18 (YE-GY) and CCB19 (GN-BN) at C135 and splice in wires to overlay them directly to the right rear brake caliper, thus eliminating all the factory wiring in between. Here's how this goes down. With BOTH circuits overlayed, the problem is finally repaired successfully. With only ONE of the two circuits overlayed (and it doesn't matter which one), the problem is also repaired successfully. But with BOTH restored to factory, C2007:92 returns under the same condition mentioned above!!! So, what are the chances of BOTH those circuits having an issue (as the results of the above tests would indicate)??? The bigger question is how in the hell does just a simple routine rear pad and rotor replace, cause this issue? I've already eliminated the parts I've "touched" as mentioned above, by replacing with new, without success. The car itself, is overall relatively clean. I've peeled back the convolute as far as I can from the connector to the right rear brake control, and there's ZERO sign of corroded or green deathbed wiring anywhere that I can find. It should also be mentioned, there is ZERO issue with the parking brake function as well, just the goddamn Parking Brake Malfunction indicator and audible warning setting along with C2007:92 during parking brake release. HELP!!!! :whattodo: 

Could you post last the 8 of the Vin? Only thing I am coming up with is terminal issue @ C3134 or C1010... or CCB18 & CCB19 are cross feeding   :chinrub2: 

Compare apply & release amp draw on RR EPB motor.