2013 f550 stuck in idle only mode

Rate this topic

Any one have any tips on getting these things out of idle only mode?  Have gone through procedure 7 times(8hours) went through every step each time. A bit hard to do seeing as ambient temps are -20 degrees and def freezes part way through the day, the steps show it needs to be above -5 degrees.  Have tried doing back to back manual regens no help.  Hotline said to do the procedure inside a heated shop on jack stands?  Pretty stupid idea as I'm pretty sure our exhaust recovery system cannot handle 700 degree exhaust at 2500 rpm and I really don't feel like running a fully loaded f550 service truck on jack stands?  There are no codes now.  It had epb,map,egr and ckp codes found a shorted ebp sensor shorting vref in the pcm.  Fixed that issue, updated pcm to latest calibration then began this gong show of a day.  Doesn't even have the lovely p207f code either.  Not sure why the exhaust system fault even came on in the first place.  No exhaust related codes were even present. :whattodo:

Finally came out this morning.  9 attempts at procedure and multiple manual regens later it came out.  Parked it inside last night and this morning did procedure twice then did 2 manual regens finally came out.  What a joke. 

Cummins now has a SCR System test that runs and automatically validates the system operation and the SCR efficiency.  Requires having Cummins INSITE diagnostics. I wish Ford would come up with something similar. You still need to perform diagnostics, test the DEF and perform a delivery test but the end of repair validation alone is worth the price of admission!

I have had to disconnect the ambient temp sensor in the mirror and install a 9.8k ohm resistor in it's place. This tells the PCM it is about 25deg C. Then leave it in overnight,

and do the drive cycle as soon as you drive it out. Last time I had to do this it was -30, so I had to be quick with the drive cycle. The def heater does not work if the pcm is thinking it is 25deg, and if you are not quick enough the def will freeze in the line before you complete the drive cycle.