KOER test no go

Rate this topic

2012 F-550 166,537 miles customer states it stalls. Truck is deleted and programmed. Pulling random codes that are hard to chase. The biggest thing is that I can't do a KOER test, the engine stalls as if the key was shut off. The same thing happens if I try to control RPM in datalogger, I can control everything else just not RPM. The same thing happens if I try to do a high pressure fuel test, it will initiate but as soon as the fuel pressure is raised the engine stalls. I can raise and lower the fuel pressure in datalogger with no problems though.

Anybody heard of this? I wish it didn't have a programmer on it, not sure if it is causing issues. The front of the engine is rather clattery off idle also.

This may not be much help in your case, but about 10 years ago there was a bug in Snap-on scanners that would kill Ford diesels on a KOER Test.  Not any others.  It was fixed with a patch.  

So it is entirely possible that the programmer is causing problems, but there is also a possibility it's the scanner.  I assume you're using and IDS, right?

Joe

Here is the hotline report......I left the part out about it being deleted.  :)

Description of Vehicle Concern:

Customer states vehicle stalls.

Please list any diagnostics already performed:
No codes, tried to do a KOER test and engine shuts off every time, PID data and try to take control of the RPM and the engine stalls, Tried to do fuel system test and the engine stalls.

Parts Replaced:
None.

Your Question:
I am having trouble wrapping my head around this. I have checked base fuel pressure and it is 70 PSI, I have performed pinpoint test m and the fuel system checks fine, no leaks or bleed down or contamination. The fuel rail pressure mirrors the desired perfectly.

Question: Body Conversion:
Answer: LIQUID TANK

Additional Comments

Comment From: Ford   Comment Date: Dec 17 2016 13:35:48
Brad, 

Since the engine will stall when attempting to perform a KOER self-test and a high pressure fuel system test, then there may be an exhaust restriction concern present. Although an exhaust restriction will typically result in DTCs such as P246C or P2463, it may be beneficial to disconnect the exhaust at the downpipe and re-evaluate. If the vehicle will now run and no longer stall, then a restricted exhaust is suspected. 

If the engine still stalls and the FRP is matching desired, then there may be a concern with the crankshaft position (CKP) signal, the EGR system or a torque converter concern (refer to symptom chart 2 in section 3 of the PC/ED.) 

The tune & vehicle are not in sync...Update the sync module :haha2: I'd remove the tune,

What about the EGT sensor wires for shorting out. (Poor delete install http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/5920-whats-in-your-bay-part-vi/?p=60797 ) What does the V Ref or CEL do when it stalls. What IFS, FRP V, & MAF V pids do when it stalls.

I run into a lot of tuners that will not let me run KOER, high pressure fuel tests or use datalogger to control RPM. Most of them can be fixed by updating the tuner's firmware. If it's an H&S unit you may be out of luck. There is a post in aftermarket that should have a link to the last H&S files for download. https://www.dieseltunerpros.com/

However I do agree with the possibility of a shitting install. Check the exhaust harness for issues. If the EGR cooler has been removed, check that harness as well.

The advisor talked to the customer today and they said the stalling condition has been going on for a year now. They deleted the exhaust to see if it was causing the issue. I checked all those pids and they read just fine. I can't verify what tuner it is at this time.

The motor sounds like hell off idle, I am going to take a fuel sample out of the left rail and see what I can see.

What does power balance look like? I had that one with the fuel pump missed timed that ended up having just enough metal in the HP system to cause some funky running concerns and it also sounded like hell off idle. Power balance looked like a wave, all 8 cylinders where all over the place.