Pulley Holder

Rate this topic

The guys in my shop borrow this pulley holder from a tech in the shop. It is supposedly a Nissan special tool from quite a few years back. It is about 30" long with a chain type strap and uses a crank handle on the top to adjust the chain.  Has anyone seen this before and know of a source? How about a similar tool or one with a strap?

It has three really good characteristics. First, it is really easy to use - no fumbling. Second, it holds the pulley in both directions and does not slip. This is important with the crankshaft pulley bolt torque procedure for the newer engines requiring you to back the bolt off after initially torquing and seating the pulley. Lastly, to long handle provides enough leverage for the user to easily anchor when applying torque to the bolt.

Take a look!

pullyHolder1.jpg

pullyHolder2.jpg

Neat tool, I like it. It looks like $20 worth of stuff from Home Depot and an hour with the welder........

Let us know if you actually make one. In fact, make two and sell one to me! :D

Yes, I can see where that tool would come in handy to turn that bolt the last 90 degree step after the 30 ft-lbs.

Especially the "loosen one turn" part. One of the guys in our shop had a 3.5L jump time from letting the crankshaft rotate backward.

Especially the "loosen one turn" part. One of the guys in our shop had a 3.5L jump time from letting the crankshaft rotate backward.          

You know, I never thought of the possibility of that happening in all of the timing chain replacement jobs I've been doing on these engines lately. Let me guess, he used an impact gun to loosen it that one full turn.

You know, I never thought of the possibility of that happening in all of the timing chain replacement jobs I've been doing on these engines lately. Let me guess, he used an impact gun to loosen it that one full turn.

When I was in Dearborn for the pts challenge one of the techs that is from a dealer an hour from me said one of the techs at his shop had one jump time when he cranked it backwards while putting the a/c belt back on.

So make damn sure you don't turn them backwards at all.

• Like 2