Diesel EGR Cleaning

Rate this topic

I've never been a fan of additives or induction cleaners.  I think they often do as mach damage as they do good.  Opinions vary widely on this topic, so if you're a fan, I won't debate it.  To each their own.

That said, I've got a trusted friend that is a fan of the new Diesel EGR cleaning systems.  Several companies make them, including my employer, Snap-on.  I order one up and gave it a go.  There's a shop near me that does a lot of diesel pickup work, so I went there and did a few trucks.  

Results ranged from incredibly clean, to not so clean.  However, if you keep running more cleaner through there, it does dissolve the carbon.  The interesting part is that if you remove the carbon from the EGR system and intake, it's gotta go somewhere.  On trucks with a DPF, you really should do a Regen right after finishing the service.  If not, it'll harden in the DPF.   Here's a pic of as good Faceplug on a 6.7L. The guy did a service on one, then let it sit.  When he got back from lunch he went for a ride and it had an obviously plugged DPF.  I also got to see a stuck VGT on an ISX.  Both of these were fixed with more cleaner though.  Anybody fool with this stuff yet?  I think it can be useful, as long as you know the dangers, and can figure out what to do when things go sideways.

Pic was taken with a borescope.

BK8K0062_zpsbh0g89p7.jpg

• Like 1

An after pic would have been nice. Short answer is no, I haven't seen the Snap-On flush.

I am not a fan of running all of that carbon PLUS whatever the cleaner is through the engine, then the aftertreatment system all at once. Think about this though. If you flush that EGR cooler, what is the result downstream? Ever see the lower intake loaded up along with the intakes. I can just imagine that crap coating that carbon and laying in there and crustifying. But I am making an assumption here. I will also assume that this cleaner is a flush and it smokes up the air/shop and takes several hours like the other flushes? Until Ford approves doing so I'll pass.

Had BG try selling us their EGR/ intake setup for the 6.0 years ago while I was still working. Their van was parked beside the truck they were demonstrating on. The process produces a hell of a lot of smoke from the exhaust. I only thought it right to put an exhaust hose on the truck and route it into the sliding door of their van. The look on their face when they realized what was going on was priceless !

• Like 1

An after pic would have been nice. Short answer is no, I haven't seen the Snap-On flush.

I am not a fan of running all of that carbon PLUS whatever the cleaner is through the engine, then the aftertreatment system all at once. Think about this though. If you flush that EGR cooler, what is the result downstream? Ever see the lower intake loaded up along with the intakes. I can just imagine that crap coating that carbon and laying in there and crustifying. But I am making an assumption here. I will also assume that this cleaner is a flush and it smokes up the air/shop and takes several hours like the other flushes? Until Ford approves doing so I'll pass.

As I understand it, the cleaner is basically lye in water.  It's a decently strong base, and it really does a great job dissolving carbon. You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned though.   The carbon has to go somewhere...and that place is the DPF.  Surprisingly to me, if you run a regen and then drive them, they clean up OK.  

The flush takes under an hour, and if you have a DPF, no smoke.  No DPF, LOTS of smoke when driving it afterwards.

I didn't do before/after pics.  Mostly because I wasn't trying to document it.  I was giving it a try for myself.

Here's a video taken by some Snap-on diagnostic guys.  

I don't know them (I work for the Industrial Division of Snap-on.  I don't have any contact with the Transportation guys).  At the 3:30 mark they show some before/after pics.  My results were similar.  I can't imagine it would unplug a cooler if it is plugged up inside the tubes.  The cleaner can't dissolve carbon if it can't get to it.

Had BG try selling us their EGR/ intake setup for the 6.0 years ago while I was still working. Their van was parked beside the truck they were demonstrating on. The process produces a hell of a lot of smoke from the exhaust. I only thought it right to put an exhaust hose on the truck and route it into the sliding door of their van. The look on their face when they realized what was going on was priceless !

That's pretty funny.  Did he ever come back to the shop?  

I should probably have put a disclaimer on my original post.  Please don't think I'm trying to sell anyone on using them.  This is a Forum for Ford Techs.  I'm only a guest, and glad to be here, so I promise you won't hear any sales pitches from me!   I was digging for info, to see if anyone has played with these things yet. I'm running across more of them in big fleet shops, especially school bus garages, and was curious if anyone here had tried them.  I posted here for the same reason most of you do.  It's not open to the general public, and the conversations don't get broadcast across the entire internet.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Brad!   I appreciate it.   You're the only guy on here that I've met in person, so I figured I'd make sure nobody thought I was using the forum to promote a product.  

Joe

I should probably have put a disclaimer on my original post.  Please don't think I'm trying to sell anyone on using them.  This is a Forum for Ford Techs.  I'm only a guest, and glad to be here, so I promise you won't hear any sales pitches from me!   I was digging for info, to see if anyone has played with these things yet. I'm running across more of them in big fleet shops, especially school bus garages, and was curious if anyone here had tried them.  I posted here for the same reason most of you do.  It's not open to the general public, and the conversations don't get broadcast across the entire internet.

Joe

Please stop thinking of yourself as just a guest. A member is a member and there are many members here who ARE NOT TECHS. All members have been personally approved by me and welcomed into this community. As I recall, you came to us on the recommendation of a member and I thought it would be good to have someone like yourself to share your knowledge and expertise regarding tools as well as discuss trucks. Seems to me that is what you have done here and I thank you! I wish you would do more. Since we can't buy tools from you directly I do not see anything you post to be a sales pitch in any way. In fact, I would like to hear about more tools and products that would beneficial to us, especially anything new being introduced. :thumbup: .

There is a missing post here and I don't remember who made it but I accidentally edited it (instead of quoting) to the point where I could not bring it back by the time I realized my mistake. I totally apologize for that - it was unintentional because I just woke up and my coffee had not hit bottom yet. :o  I don't want you to think that you are going crazy because the post is gone or that you are being censored. 

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that.  I appreciate it.  I contribute any time I think I have something to add.  It's tough for a guy that works on everything to know something that a Dealership Tech doesn't!!  I've learned an awful lot here though.  For example, you guys were seeing failing PCV Sensors long before I saw my first one.  I looked a lot smarter when I did though.  :-)

I believe the missing post is Jeff Clyde responding to my question about how the BG guy must have loved him.

Joe