Gauge lighting power source

Rate this topic

I have a 2011 F350 that I will install load leveler Firestone airbags with compressor kit. The truck does not have upfitter switch set and that is where I sourced illumination power on the only other 2011-> SD I installed one of these systems on.

Where is another safe place to tap into? I'm not sure the illumination signal wire is capable of the current for a regular bulb that the air pressure gauge in these kits use. My plan B is parking/tail light circuit and not worrying about dimming since the gauge will be out of sight when driving.

The set of air bag compressors I installed I grabbed power for the compressor out of an unused terminal in the bjb. There is one that is powered anytime the vehicle is awake. I'm not sure what relay it runs through but it worked. I may have had a relay in there too, but I don't remember for sure. But on the Air-lift system the gauge is automatically back lit any time the system has power.

On the FIrestone kit the bulb socket has two free wires. You splice to ground for compressor switch (uses sw to ground relay) and connect to power for dash illumination. This kit has a fuse holder that is constant power connected. With no power needed at switch there is no option to connect to power at switch and fuse it to accessory power. I think this one is getting key on gauge lighting.

I like the airlift compressor kit with its low pressure limit switch but I have had Air Lift frame brackets bend.

You could still grab the power off of the bjb for the illumination. You could also add a low pressure switch if you really wanted to. I'm sure there is something avalible that would work.

Do they still have that extra wire under the dash that's hot key on? Or did they do away with that?

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I have yet another that gets the airbag system. Long springs make for good ride but there is big height drop and resulting headlight aim issues when a 4K pin weight trailer is carried.

The switch panel is down low and fixed brightness seems to not be bothersome to the owners.