Oil analysis

Rate this topic

I have customer brought in truck. Said way overfull on oil. Short stick it's fine. Service advisor called they had oil tested and the report says excessive amount of fuel. Anyone had this? Will normal regen add enough to cause this?

I got a fax of the report. Shows 7 percent fuel and viscosity is 8.1 I have never had a report before just went by short stick method. If over full short stick went in looking for internal leaks otherwise said from regen change oil.

I told them to change oil make sure to watch hours not just miles and let see what happens. It's a city truck 12743 hours. 127k miles. I have been telling them to change oil by hours not miles for a long time.

Although 7% dilution is not desirable, it is far from excessive, especially on a 6.4 as they are notorious for growing oil.  In class I say it's normal for 6.4s to grow 2 or even 3 qts between oil changes if the truck gets a lot of regens, and Ford has stated that's not an issue.  15% dilution was kicked around as a normal/high number back when these were released. (That sent me for a loop as we were used to using 3-4% dilution as a max before regens came along!)

Yes, repeated normal regens will cause this and even higher numbers.

Like you said, do a LOF and calculate how much growth there is. If it is excessive then look for leakage under the VC or HPFP. When I see excessive growth from a leak, it's excessive, like there's no gray area. (quarts/gallons per week growth)  Off the top of my head I'd say 7% is not to get excited about assuming it has some miles on the oil. At a 10mph average it's going to see a lot of regens and a lot of idle time.

We have fleets with these that simply drain off the growth when it gets excessive!   :o

:grin: