Early Christmas Present

Rate this topic

We have a 2004 Excursion, obviously a 6.0, with 11,000 miles on it no history of ever being at a ford dealer for any repair. Customer just bought it from another place and said he has a coolant leak, an independent shop said it needs a heater core wanting to charge him $1100. When the other diesel tech got it, coolant obviously overflowing from the resevoir, he did the TSB needs head gaskets horribly. The truck equiped with the usual 5in exhaust, BIG aftermarket intercooler, p0603, p0605, p1000 in history. After doing the passenger side head, he started doing the drivers side head and had trouble getting one of the head bolts out the head. He gets it out and calls me over. There is electrical tape wrapped around the center of the bolt, wrapped around about 10 times so it seals the head hole, right were the head gasket is bad. I will post pictures tom, forgot to bring my camera. I couldn't believe it, he just bought it, no history. Can anyone top that sceonario ?

Can't say I've ever heard of that one before, haha.. I can tell you right now that I wouldn't be using the word "warranty" around this guy too much, though. Any signs of the engine being apart once before???

I had a 6.0 truck that I ended up replacing the heads on due to warpage and one of the new heads had bunk valves right out of the box. Something was wrong with the guides or something, the valve bridges wouldn't even fit correctly. Due to, err... "time constraints" we were told to basically make the head work. So we FORCED the valve bridges onto the valves and after I put it all together - drove it away later on that day.

A good 5 minutes into the drive, one of the rockers walked off the bridge, busted 2 valve springs, dropped the valves right into the cylinder, made a wonderful mess. Fortunately, no base-engine damage was done and all we needed was a third head. - I ended up sending a bunch of pics (that I still have) to Ford engineering because they were real interested for whatever reason to see what was wrong with the head...

Dave

Well since the guy said he just bought it and swears he didnt do anything to it, bought it as-is. We warrantied this repair but are voiding his warranty or something. Will have pics for you guys tonight. Also found bolts missing in head and high pressure rail. No history of being at any other dealer for serious repairs.