2013 Ford Edge 3.5 timing chain failure.

Rate this topic

66glide

Good day folks. I need to know if I messed this one up. It came in for serp belts squeaky. I cut the old belts off and was attempting to install the stretchy PS belt. As it turns out, the one I have is too short. I ordered one from Ford, and lowered the car. I went to start the car to move it out of the bay, and it wont start. By the sound of it, clearly the timing chain is broken or jumped.

My question is this...I did turn the crank pulley backwards manually about 1/8 of a turn. Please give me your knowledgeable and honest input...could doing this have screwed up the chain?

The vehicle has only 105,000 km and the customer says it has been serviced regularly. I don't mind eating the repair, but i am wondering if it was me or am I just unlucky in this case.

Thanks!

If the chain is loose it can not be turned backwards it will jump timing. A coworker of mine did the timing chain tsb on a 3.5 f150 never started it up. Proceeds to pull trans to do front pump tsb. While removing torque converter nuts he backed up because he had went to far and it jumped timing. With engine never being run the tensioner wasn't keeping tension on chain. a worn chain could easily do the same.

I have always heard you cannot turn the 3.5/3.7 backwards without risking engine damage.

You would think there would be a printed warning about this. I looked and I didn't find one.

I wish there was. This education will be costly for me. 

I have always heard you cannot turn the 3.5/3.7 backwards without risking engine damage.

You would think there would be a printed warning about this. I looked and I didn't find one.

On the 3.5L it does have the same warning as the 2.0L. I guess by default when the WSM says to rotate the crankshaft clockwise...

I do remember Chrysler trainer telling a story of smoke checking the exhaust...I guess shop air in the tailpipe was enough to rotate the engine backwards & jump the timing chain

This is what I did on a 2.3L so I would not be tempted to...

Clockwise - Copy.jpg