P2002 2016 F350

Rate this topic

I visited a fleet shop today that had around 50 2016 F350 trucks with 6.7s, and 35,000 to 50,000 miles on them.  Half a dozen of them had P2002 codes.  No other codes.  One had multiple repair attempts, including an entirely new exhaust system.

As I understand it, the P2002 code looks for no/low DPF backpressure, indicating a missing DPF. 

The backpressure data looked good to me.  We road tested it, and commanded a stationary regen, and nothing looked bad to me.  

I checked service bulletins in Shopkey, and it appears there is one for this code, and it recommends a reflash.  I can't imagine that t Dealer would put an new exhaust system on it and not check for a reflash..but you never know.  Any advice?  If I list the VIN, can anyone tel me if it has updated software?

Any help or abuse appreciated.

Joe

Checking OASIS with the VIN should reveal if a re-calibration was performed under warranty. Doing so will not reveal if there is an available update for that vehicle however. That can only be determined with an IDS connected to the vehicle and then selecting module programming then PCM. Keep in mind that because Ford is run by bean counting idiots they will not pay to update a PCM calibration without "authorization" meaning a TSB or FSA, WSM or as instructed by the Hot-Line.  Reason I mention this is because there have been many instances where I have updated calibrations because the truck needed it but I did not document it or claim it under warranty because Ford will just kick the claim. Reason being is that if there is an update it must be beneficial to the truck (and the customer) if it exists. Why would I NOT want to update a truck that has issues?

AWS Claim Key Repair Date -  
VIN 1FD8W3FT7GEA16368 Vehicle Line T/FA Market Derived Code F Body Cab T/BC Ver. Series T/CD Drive Type T/E PLT CD A1 TRS CD T/CV ENG CD T/TR Production Date 01-JUN-15 Warranty Start Date 31-DEC-15 Selling Dealer 147908 Selling Country USA
AWS Claim Key Trx Code Time In Service Labor Hours Dealership DIST (Miles) Repair Date Prefix Base Suffix Doc Details 2875602 2 11 2.2 CAPITOL CITY FORD INC 2943 03-NOV-16 DC3Z 1104 A 583314A   Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE ABS LIGHT IS ON   Tech Comments ROAD TET VERIFY, ABS AND TC LIGHTS ARE ON, IDS TEST ABS MODULE OBTAIN DTC C0034:62 INSPECT WHEELS, TIRES AND WIRES AND CONNECTIONS ALL GOOD, RUN PPT T1 T8 MONITOR WHEEL SPEED SENSORS PIDS, CHECK SENSORS FOR DAMAGE UNABLE TO INSPECT TONE LINES INSTALL ACTIVE WHEEL SPEED MONITOR INTERNAL WHEEL TONE RING FAULT IN HUB BEARING, REPLACE RF HUB AND BEARING ASSEMBLY, CLEAR CODES RETEST CHECK GOOD. EXTRA TIME TO ACCESS LIFT POINTS REMOVE SKID PLATE FUEL TANK Details 5236311 S07 18 .6 ANDY MOHR FORD-LINCOLN, INC. 24463 31-MAY-17 BC3Z 9J460 E 68029301   Customer Comments CSUTOMER STATES WARNING LIGHTS ARE ON AND HAS A DPF CODE PRESENT CHECK AND ADVISE CODE P2002 RETREIVED   Tech Comments VERIFIED LAMP ON, P2002 STORED PPT PER WSM AND REPLACE FAILED DPF RETESTED OK Details 5751286 S07 19 .7 ANDY MOHR FORD-LINCOLN, INC. 27955 10-JUL-17 GC3Z 5L239 A 68571101   Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES DEF LIGHT IS ON, INSTALL SOP PER PRIOR DIAG   Tech Comments EEC TEST AND P2002 STORED. REPROGRAM PER TSB AND CODE RETURNS. CONTACT TECH LINE, REPLACE DEF MODULE AND RESET SYSTEM.

It was reprogrammed in July. You used to be able to put the pcm part # in on the motorcraft website and it would tell you if there was a later available. It no longer shows that available.

• Like 1

AWS Claim Key Repair Date -  
VIN 1FD8W3FT7GEA16368 Vehicle Line T/FA Market Derived Code F Body Cab T/BC Ver. Series T/CD Drive Type T/E PLT CD A1 TRS CD T/CV ENG CD T/TR Production Date 01-JUN-15 Warranty Start Date 31-DEC-15 Selling Dealer 147908 Selling Country USA
AWS Claim Key Trx Code Time In Service Labor Hours Dealership DIST (Miles) Repair Date Prefix Base Suffix Doc Details 2875602 2 11 2.2 CAPITOL CITY FORD INC 2943 03-NOV-16 DC3Z 1104 A 583314A   Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE ABS LIGHT IS ON   Tech Comments ROAD TET VERIFY, ABS AND TC LIGHTS ARE ON, IDS TEST ABS MODULE OBTAIN DTC C0034:62 INSPECT WHEELS, TIRES AND WIRES AND CONNECTIONS ALL GOOD, RUN PPT T1 T8 MONITOR WHEEL SPEED SENSORS PIDS, CHECK SENSORS FOR DAMAGE UNABLE TO INSPECT TONE LINES INSTALL ACTIVE WHEEL SPEED MONITOR INTERNAL WHEEL TONE RING FAULT IN HUB BEARING, REPLACE RF HUB AND BEARING ASSEMBLY, CLEAR CODES RETEST CHECK GOOD. EXTRA TIME TO ACCESS LIFT POINTS REMOVE SKID PLATE FUEL TANK Details 5236311 S07 18 .6 ANDY MOHR FORD-LINCOLN, INC. 24463 31-MAY-17 BC3Z 9J460 E 68029301   Customer Comments CSUTOMER STATES WARNING LIGHTS ARE ON AND HAS A DPF CODE PRESENT CHECK AND ADVISE CODE P2002 RETREIVED   Tech Comments VERIFIED LAMP ON, P2002 STORED PPT PER WSM AND REPLACE FAILED DPF RETESTED OK Details 5751286 S07 19 .7 ANDY MOHR FORD-LINCOLN, INC. 27955 10-JUL-17 GC3Z 5L239 A 68571101   Customer Comments CUSTOMER STATES DEF LIGHT IS ON, INSTALL SOP PER PRIOR DIAG   Tech Comments EEC TEST AND P2002 STORED. REPROGRAM PER TSB AND CODE RETURNS. CONTACT TECH LINE, REPLACE DEF MODULE AND RESET SYSTEM.

It was reprogrammed in July. You used to be able to put the pcm part # in on the motorcraft website and it would tell you if there was a later available. It no longer shows that available.

Holy crap!  Thanks!  I really appreciate that.  

Is the tailpipe sooty? Make sure the adaptation tables are cleared. Fuel sample & additive info. What about idle info.

No sooty tailpipe.  DPF was brand new.  Lots of idle time, I'm sure.  It's a fleet truck that mostly idles at job sites.  I did not clear any codes or adaptives.  I didn't want to mess it up for the Techs at the dealer.  It is back there again today.

Thanks for the help!

Joe

• 2 years later...

I figure it's easier to revive an old thread than start a new one of the same topic, so here goes.

I came across another 2016 with a P2002.  This one was kinda cool.  It blew out the matting around the DPF.  It had a few blown out tubes, but nothing horrendous.  The soot out the tailpipe was a sticky mess, so it looks like it has a popped EGR cooler, and the matting around the DPF suffered as a result.  So this one is getting a new DPF and is requiring a bit more detective work to find the source of the sticky soot.  Here's some pics.

Joe

4.jpg

IMG_20200227_130842865.jpg

3.bmp