Half a Gallon Of Gasoline

Rate this topic

Guy texts me and tells me he accidentally pumped half a gallon into his diesel tank in his 2011 F350. Was topping off for the trip home and he had a little under 3/4 tank. Then he topped it off with diesel before what he did set in. He asked what to do? I have heard of similar stories where the trucks were driven with no real problems. I told him the best thing would be to drain the tank and refill. Option 2 would be to get some additive that will boost the lubricity of the fuel and see how it runs - no smoke and strange ignition sounds he might be okay and run it down to 1/2 and fill it again to dilute it some more. I ended by recommending draining the fuel again. He opted not to.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I have had 5 or 6 customers do this and I have yet to replace anything other than filters. I've seen them run them until they quit. I pump the tank into a 55 gallon drum, fill a diesel can and flush out all the lines, replace filters and fill tank up with fresh fuel and booster. Prime them up and go for a drive, run high pressure fuel pump test and koer test to make sure no problems. I have yet to see a problem or have one come back. One particular truck, they did it twice within 50k miles and ran it until it quit. Truck has clocked over a 100k miles since they filled with gas the second time. With all that being said, I wouldn't tell the guy to worry.

That's a pretty low percentage to worry about.  I'd add some ashless 2 stroke oil if I had some, and run it without a second thought about it.

Joe

• Like 1

We have had some come in with over 90% gasoline that quit running. Drain and flush, waive all liabilities and send them on their way. Just make sure you cover your ass. It seems to be hit and miss. Some are fine, some come back.

Well I am also of the opinion that the gas contamination is not significant however it will affect lubricity and the ignition of the fuel. These high pressure common rail systems are not very forgiving. I did text me after putting some additive in the tank and driving home  200+ miles and it ran fine.