What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Sadly Steve, I didn't think to get one. It left the shop with the pipes ending at the T-case and went elsewhere to get some custom duals built. I will say I felt it in my chest driving it out though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the last month and a half I've had a Vulcan reman. 6.8L sitting beside my bay. Last year I installed it in a 2008 F550. It came back in November with just over 20,000 km on it knocking. Found the balance shaft broken and various cam caps loose or broken. Also #3 cylinder wall has a nicely machined groove it from a broken piston ring. For some reason there are no cylinder heads available for Vulcan to build me a replacement engine.

• 3 weeks later...

2005 Subaru Forester for a long block.

2003 Acura 3.2 CL for a battery, high pressure hose and hood struts

2012 F150 for a blend door motor

2007 Honda Pilot for a front blower motor, cabin filter, timing belt and water pump

2010 Dodge Journey for a battery, timing belt, water pump, trans cooler lines, outer tie rod, both rear hub bearings

We just got out of a 2-week -35 to -45 cold snap, so lots of batteries, steering hoses, block.heaters, oil pan heaters and battery heaters.

Running my own shop is fun!

• Like 1

2000 E150 for a front blower motor and resistor.

2015 Passat TDI for SCR concerns

2008 Chrysler Aspen for a blown serpentine belt due to a bad tensioner and idler

2006 Caravan for electrical concerns, light and power door locks inop after a local chain installed a new battery

2005 Pontiac Montana van for inop mode door operation

2007 Rio for a bad brake pulsation

2012 Grand Cherokee CRD for glow plug issues, checkover the brakes

: D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: previous post. Holy shit is this thing overloaded. They should be running at least an F650. That was one scary road test. But the clutch works and the E-brake holds. 

27 minutes ago, lmorris said:

Re: previous post. Holy shit is this thing overloaded. They should be running at least an F650. That was one scary road test. But the clutch works and the E-brake holds. 

That truck was very likely a former Hostess/Lays potato chip delivery truck. I remember seeing quite a few trucks like that, of that era. Apparently Ford gave them the green light to extend the wheelbase of those trucks in order to be able to accommodate that size of box to be installed. The reason for this being a full load of potato chips would still be within the GVWR limits for that truck. What really wasn't thought out very well, was the effects of the added mass of that modification, not to mention what the vehicle would end up being used for once out of service and into the hands of the second owner.

2 hours ago, mchan68 said:

That truck was very likely a former Hostess/Lays potato chip delivery truck. I remember seeing quite a few trucks like that, of that era. Apparently Ford gave them the green light to extend the wheelbase of those trucks in order to be able to accommodate that size of box to be installed. The reason for this being a full load of potato chips would still be within the GVWR limits for that truck. What really wasn't thought out very well, was the effects of the added mass of that modification, not to mention what the vehicle would end up being used for once out of service and into the hands of the second owner.

Actually it was.

21 minutes ago, lmorris said:

Actually it was.

Just for S's and G's what has that vehicle been repurposed to? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume whatever it is, it's definitely a lot heavier than potato chips judging by your post-repair road test post. That said, either you or the service advisor should be cautioning the owner on overloading the vehicle. You don't want any liability coming back to you in any way.

2007 Sierra 1500 - both front axles, right front hub bearing, 20" tires, upper control arms, front stab links, right front caliper and front brakes

2004 Liberty - rear wheel seals, steering rack

1991 Explorer with 800 000 km - starter, idler pulley

2010 Goat 1500 - all brakes, left side exhaust manifold

1997 Goat 1500 - cat back exhaust, tires

2015 Rogue - new tires

2017 F350 gas job - tires, serpentine belt, front brakes

It is a different world for.an independent.

14 hours ago, mchan68 said:

Just for S's and G's what has that vehicle been repurposed to? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume whatever it is, it's definitely a lot heavier than potato chips judging by your post-repair road test post. That said, either you or the service advisor should be cautioning the owner on overloading the vehicle. You don't want any liability coming back to you in any way.

It's used to store and transport event rental equipment, lighting, tables, chairs etc. I discussed the over weight issue with the driver of the truck, he doesn't seem to care. His "treasurer" makes all the financial decisions and apparently purchasing a more suitable vehicle is not in the budget.

2 hours ago, lmorris said:

It's used to store and transport event rental equipment, lighting, tables, chairs etc. I discussed the over weight issue with the driver of the truck, he doesn't seem to care. His "treasurer" makes all the financial decisions and apparently purchasing a more suitable vehicle is not in the budget.

Well then.....

I guess frequent expensive repairs and the financial consequences of using a vehicle well beyond it's rated capabilities, should God forbid an accident occur IS in the budget?

As long as that becomes a THEM problem and not a YOU problem is all that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished installing a 6” suspension lift on a brand new 2020 F250. Got a 16 F150 with a junk 3.5 ecoboost that the owner decided to try running 24,000 miles between oil changes. And an 04 F150 with a suspected broken od band that’s getting a reman. 

2016 Mustang with a MT82 and a destroyed second gear (owner says he doesn't beat on his car),

2008 F-350 6.4 wont start hot, fine when cold

2018 F-150 front axle overhaul

2006 F-450 6.0 keeps chewing up injectors :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

2017 Diesel Transit with a rubbed through heater hose. Looks like it was never positioned properly from factory.

2017 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost, Leaking oil pan, cracked left valve cover, right where the intake cam sprocket is, spewing oil everywhere. And a rear pinion seal.

20200407_164445.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I resealed a 7.3 recently in an 01 F-350. The thing was leaking fuel from the valley, coolant from the front cover and oil from the bottom of the pan.  It still had good power and no signs of being dusted so I made the call to pull it out.  It got.... 

New oil pan and dipstick

Front and rear main seals

Front cover gaskets 

Fuel lines in the valley

New seals for the HPOP and the longer ferry plug from international

New up-pipes and reseal the pedestal

New injector cups and o-rings 

New glow plugs and harnesses

Reseal the oil cooler 

New ex manifold bolts and gaskets 

New block heater and cord

Surprisingly it seems to run better.  I’m happy with the way it turned out.  I had to borrow the 2 post engine stand from my old dealer but they didn’t mind. It hasn’t been used since I left.  

12 hours ago, Matt Saunoras said:

I resealed a 7.3 recently in an 01 F-350. The thing was leaking fuel from the valley, coolant from the front cover and oil from the bottom of the pan.  It still had good power and no signs of being dusted so I made the call to pull it out.  It got.... 

New oil pan and dipstick

Front and rear main seals

Front cover gaskets 

Fuel lines in the valley

New seals for the HPOP and the longer ferry plug from international

New up-pipes and reseal the pedestal

New injector cups and o-rings 

New glow plugs and harnesses

Reseal the oil cooler 

New ex manifold bolts and gaskets 

New block heater and cord

Surprisingly it seems to run better.  I’m happy with the way it turned out.  I had to borrow the 2 post engine stand from my old dealer but they didn’t mind. It hasn’t been used since I left.  

That sure is a lot of money to spend on a twenty model year old vehicle. Ditto on our two post engine stand. With most 6.0/6.4 trucks being old news, and the 6.7 trucks being relatively solid, I suspect there are a lot of dealers with these two post stands (ours included) sitting in the tool rooms collecting dust.

2 hours ago, mchan68 said:

That sure is a lot of money to spend on a twenty model year old vehicle. Ditto on our two post engine stand. With most 6.0/6.4 trucks being old news, and the 6.7 trucks being relatively solid, I suspect there are a lot of dealers with these two post stands (ours included) sitting in the tool rooms collecting dust.

Maybe. You need to consider that as dealer techs the older models disappear from our bays and we are continually fed the newest models... that are covered by warranty. My heavy engine stand has not seen an engine in a few years now. I use it for transmissions now.

The municipality I work for uses mostly old trucks.  While we are slowly upgrading our fleet it’s many times necessary to put money into what we already have.  A few thousand to fix a truck will get us by for a few years rather than buying new.  

On 8/14/2020 at 8:17 AM, mchan68 said:

I suspect there are a lot of dealers with these two post stands (ours included) sitting in the tool rooms collecting dust.

Mine has the stand but not the 6.7L adapters. Only had 1 6.7L torn down to a short block and that was done using the engine crane and powertrain table.