What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I got's 4 blown 6.7L engines, 2 upper oil pans, two transmissions, a power distribution harness, a 2021 F450 with a burned up dash and a Transit with a driveshaft that came apart that destroyed the underside of the floor and transmission case and the shit just keeps coming in including the fucking cracked frame recalls.  I am NOT happy.  :mad:

4 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

I got's 4 blown 6.7L engines, 2 upper oil pans, two transmissions, a power distribution harness, a 2021 F450 with a burned up dash and a Transit with a driveshaft that came apart that destroyed the underside of the floor and transmission case and the shit just keeps coming in including the fucking cracked frame recalls.  I am NOT happy.  :mad:

Well..... someone is busy.

20 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

If it wasn't for the last sentence, I'd swear you were bragging. 

53 minutes ago, forddieseldoctor said:

Cracked frame recall? What’s this on?

21B04 S1 

October 7, 2021

Customer Satisfaction / Owner Notification Program - 21B04 S1

UPDATE Supplement Announcement

Certain 2017 through 2020 Model Year F550 Equipped with Payload Plus Upgrade Package - Frame Rail Crack

PROGRAM TERMS This program will be in effect through October 31, 2022. There is no mileage limit for this program.

URGENCY / EXPIRATION DATE This Customer Satisfaction Program has an expiration date of October 31, 2022 to encourage dealers and customers to have this service performed as soon as possible. We recommend dealers utilize their FSA VIN Lists name and address to contact customers with affected vehicles. This will help minimize the number of vehicles that may develop a frame rail crack, which requires a more extensive repair. FSA VIN Lists are expected to be available by week of October 25, 2021.

AFFECTED VEHICLES Vehicle Model Year Assembly Plant Build Dates F550 2017-2020 Kentucky January 12, 2016 through May 21, 2020 F550 2017-2020 Ohio February 17, 2016 through May 21, 2020 Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists. This program includes vehicles that are used in specific vocation only, which may be particularly affected by this condition due to duty cycle. These vocations include: • Aerial Bucket • Service Bodies with Hoists • Roll-Off Wreckers • Waste Hauler Roll-Offs

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM In some of the affected vehicles certain second unit body (SUB) upfits could cause stress points on the frame rail. Over time this stress could cause a crack in the frame rail behind the cab. © Copyright 2021 Ford Motor Company

SERVICE ACTION Dealers are to install frame rail service kits following Technical Information in Attachment III. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles per direction in Dealer Information Sheet, Attachment V at no charge to the vehicle owner.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:44 AM, forddieseldoctor said:

The good news for me is that there is no way we could handle taking the upfit body off at our shop. So they would refer the customer to a different dealer anyway. 

Ditto for me!!! I won't work on any F-450 or F-550 trucks due to our shop layout would require 20 million point turns to navigate it into our shop for just even a shorter wheelbase truck, plus our hoists are not rated to lift vehicles that heavy. I told management many years ago flat out that I refuse to work on anything I can't walk under, set up on a lift or get into the shop.

19 hours ago, mchan68 said:

Ditto for me!!! I won't work on any F-450 or F-550 trucks due to our shop layout would require 20 million point turns to navigate it into our shop for just even a shorter wheelbase truck, plus our hoists are not rated to lift vehicles that heavy. I told management many years ago flat out that I refuse to work on anything I can't walk under, set up on a lift or get into the shop.

I tried to get an 18k hoist a couple years ago. They got me a 12k instead. I send upper oil pans on anything too heavy for that hoist away. 

2 hours ago, forddieseldoctor said:

I tried to get an 18k hoist a couple years ago. They got me a 12k instead. I send upper oil pans on anything too heavy for that hoist away. 

12K hoists are what we have as well. The owner was willing to buy me any hoist I would have wanted, but I told him it wasn't just the hoist that would be needed. He wasn't pleased with my response.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 5:21 PM, Keith Browning said:
21B04 S1 

October 7, 2021

Customer Satisfaction / Owner Notification Program - 21B04 S1

UPDATE Supplement Announcement

Certain 2017 through 2020 Model Year F550 Equipped with Payload Plus Upgrade Package - Frame Rail Crack

PROGRAM TERMS This program will be in effect through October 31, 2022. There is no mileage limit for this program.

URGENCY / EXPIRATION DATE This Customer Satisfaction Program has an expiration date of October 31, 2022 to encourage dealers and customers to have this service performed as soon as possible. We recommend dealers utilize their FSA VIN Lists name and address to contact customers with affected vehicles. This will help minimize the number of vehicles that may develop a frame rail crack, which requires a more extensive repair. FSA VIN Lists are expected to be available by week of October 25, 2021.

AFFECTED VEHICLES Vehicle Model Year Assembly Plant Build Dates F550 2017-2020 Kentucky January 12, 2016 through May 21, 2020 F550 2017-2020 Ohio February 17, 2016 through May 21, 2020 Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS and FSA VIN Lists. This program includes vehicles that are used in specific vocation only, which may be particularly affected by this condition due to duty cycle. These vocations include: • Aerial Bucket • Service Bodies with Hoists • Roll-Off Wreckers • Waste Hauler Roll-Offs

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM In some of the affected vehicles certain second unit body (SUB) upfits could cause stress points on the frame rail. Over time this stress could cause a crack in the frame rail behind the cab. © Copyright 2021 Ford Motor Company

SERVICE ACTION Dealers are to install frame rail service kits following Technical Information in Attachment III. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles per direction in Dealer Information Sheet, Attachment V at no charge to the vehicle owner.

So they ordered all the parts for and scheduled 3 of these without reading everything and checking to see what upfit body is on them. Or the realization that if it happens to be one of the bodies all 3 of them get the top frame bracket per wheelbase and that you may have to remove the body to install the bracket. 

I work with a bunch of freaking retards. 

1 hour ago, Keith Browning said:

We insist on seeing the vehicle - that also allows for inspection of the frame and determining what needs to be done and what parts are needed.  

That would be the smart way to do it. My dealership has done nothing smart in at least a year. 

• 2 months later...

6F35 out of a 2018 Edge. Broken differential center pin, resulting in the pin gouging the inside of the transmission case and the resulting metal plugged the filter, which took out every bearing, bushing and clutch. Tried to get pictures of the diff, but my phone won't focus properly on the broken pin.

• 1 month later...

A cash 5R110, a 6R140 with a fucked up converter nose and seal with the overdrive clutch burnt to hell and the Low/Reverse clutch smoked as well... 6 blown 6.7L diesels and a truck needing a FICM that is on backorder. Riddle me this: How the hell is a 5R110 torque converter obsolete but a reman unit is available? :chinrub2:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, forddieseldoctor said:

Removing engine. 

Wait a minute! There is no front end on that bus, and you needed to do a bus lift to remove the engine? C'mon, what's the real story? LMAO!!! :haha2:

• 3 weeks later...

08' E-Series bus No crank,cluster dead,windows inop. Even though the wiring diagram has multiple errors I traced it down to broken splice 221(Behind the dash)

If was down for 6 weeks, the multiple shops the looked at it didn't have the "Dealer Diagnostics" so it ended up at my shop....Now that the wire is repaired I am going to hook up IDS for the first time just to do a post scan,clear the DTC's and perform drive cycle.:chinrub2:

10 hours ago, 8WA Sman said:

08' E-Series bus No crank,cluster dead,windows inop. Even though the wiring diagram has multiple errors I traced it down to broken splice 221(Behind the dash)

If was down for 6 weeks, the multiple shops the looked at it didn't have the "Dealer Diagnostics" so it ended up at my shop....Now that the wire is repaired I am going to hook up IDS for the first time just to do a post scan,clear the DTC's and perform drive cycle.:chinrub2:

Nice job

Got a transit bus with a twisted off axle shaft, 3 focuses and 1 fiesta waiting on tcm’s, a 15 superduty 6.2 with a backordered pcm, a 12 mustang that we finally got a pcm for today, a 2020 f450 sitting with the trans on the floor waiting for a cdf hub. And 3 more vehicles out there waiting for trans to get torn apart for suspected cdf bushing failures. Plus a steady stream of other stuff that no one else in my shop is qualified to do.