4x4 E box ambulance

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding this fine 1995 E350 ambulance (now mobile detailing rig), had to do some work inside the doghouse.  I have no idea who converted it to 4x4, I know of Quigley (sp?)  or if it's a home made deal.   It shows on Oasis that it's was originally sold to a municipality, and some other research revealed it's either a theft recovery or total loss. 

Anyway, on this particular van, the engine has been raised to the point that the right valve cover is less than 1/4 inch from the sides of the doghouse opening.  The top of the turbo is approximately 1.5" from the top of the doghouse opening.  No room at all to get your hand between.

Luckily, or not,  it seems it's had at least 1 engine, since the black paint is still fresh even up to the exhaust manifolds, while the rest of the chassis, underneath is horrendously rotted.

How have you guys, if you've run into this, get the valve covers off these things?  It's got glow plug issues as well as soon needing an oil pan.  There's no room to drop the engine as the cross member seems to have been raised to nearly touching the oil pan.

Body raise?  A scary proposition on this thing.

The engine is definitely significantly higher than a regular E, and the cross member, sits insanely close to the oil pan.  I've never seen one so close,    When it comes back I'll take some pictures.   It just doesn't look at all factory. 

We have no idea what place did the conversion, the 4 link brackets are welded and bolted to the frame,  Unless the guy who owns it now, actually has documentation, it's going to be a pita to get parts for this front end.  It appears to use stock-like springs and shocks, still in the same spring perches as a regular E-van.