6.7 short block

Rate this topic

RyanG

Running in to an issue with a claim. Had a 14 550 come in for major oil leak. Found coming from upper pan. Dropped lower pan and found large pieces of bearing material also took a sample of oil from filter and found fine metal particles. When ahead with removal and tear down, found number 3 main bearing coming apart and some very light scoring on the journal. Everything else looked ok, no damage to heads only thing I found was the turbo bearing sounded a little rough. Did a cost cap and found that apparently short blocks and long blocks don't require imaging or prior anymore? Checked with the warranty clerk and he found same thing. Ordered a short block plus a turbo. The only additional parts ordered were the valve train oil spray bars. I figured that some pieces of the bearings could make there way in and plug up one of the holes. The other issue I had was the engine installation kit was incomplete. I have run in to this before and had to order additional parts. The jobs done and gone but were having trouble with the claim going through. Its showing under manual review right now which is not usually a good thing.  Is it possible that I've should have done a crank and bearings? I've done a few 6.7 long blocks under warranty, this is the first short block but I've never had an issue before.

It could just be the fact that the original customer complaint was an oil leak and not engine noise. I'm sure that once the parts are inspected it will not be an issue. They are a little funny when the repair doesn't match the customer concern.

Warranty admin. got an e-mail back. Apparently the two reasons for the review was they needed proof of my certification:crazy: and they had a problem with one of the parts kits that I used. Claim went through but it sounds to me like Ford is really reaching.