FMPP on Transit 3.2L Diesel

Rate this topic

mchan68

What have you guys been using for engine oil, when doing oil changes on these Transits with the 3.2L Diesel? The oil cap spec calls for 5W30/5W40. I don't know of any such engine oil weight 5W30 that exists for diesel engines, let alone any from the Motorcraft line of lubricants. Up until discontinuation, I've been using the Mobil Delvac 5W40 synthetic oil. If you click on the mileage icon in the MPS menu, it lists all the appropriate part numbers along with the labour times allotted. The part number for the engine oil is listed as DEL-5W40-4LSD for 11.4. However, that oil no longer exists, and has now been changed up to DEL-0W40-4LAS. So, I've been using this oil on all Transits coming in for oil changes since then. Our warranty clerk has been giving me grief, telling me Ford won't pay for synthetic oil on vehicles with FMPP. On just one Transit that came in yesterday, I see the previous maintenances with CXO-5W30-LSP12 (gas engine oil) on the parts list of the previous maintenances on OASIS. When I asked my warranty clerk about this, I was told to use the synthetic oil, but Ford will only pay for the regular oil, while our parts department takes the hit in the difference in cost!!! What gives? Anybody else heard of this?

On another note, this particular service was also due for a fuel filter change. In MPS, it lists FG-1162 as the part number for the fuel filter. For those of you not in the know, FG-1162 is the whole fuel filter and water separator housing assembly!!! WTF??? The correct number for the filter only, I found out is FD-4621. 

I can't recall exactly what the oil cap specifically shows BUT if you look in the WSM the ONLY oil listed for a 3.2L Diesel transit engine in the engine specifications is Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil part number WSS-M2C171-E which is a full synthetic engine oil. Ultimately this is the first fact that has to be presented. Next we look at the FLP Maintenance Admin Manual pages 166 and 167 it appears as though full synthetic engine oil is an option and may require dealer and or customer participation. This probably explains why your warranty administrator is having a fit. The problem here lies with whomever sold the vehicles and contracts that probably is not aware of the required engine oil and the plan(s) they sold. That needs to be identified and corrected.

I uploaded the pages that show this - see the Note at the bottom of the second page: FLP_Oct2018_Admin_Manual_Page166.pdf

By filling the engine with the PROPER SPECIFIED OIL, you my friend are doing your job correctly. Someone else however is not and my opinion is that you should approach this problem in that way instead of wracking your brain trying to find a work around for someone else incompetence, lack of knowledge or laziness in trying to determine the problem and finding a way to resolve it.   JMHO

I am using the oil specified however I don't think I have performed a service on a diesel Transit with a maintenance plan. I don't have an answer for your question specifically the 5W30 Diesel engine oil and I apologize for that but I felt I needed to chime in here. Perhaps my Warranty Administrator wife will know but she is sleeping at the moment and I am not going to wake her. :ohnoes:

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, Keith Browning said:

By filling the engine with the PROPER SPECIFIED OIL, you my friend are doing your job correctly. Someone else however is not and my opinion is that you should approach this problem in that way instead of wracking your brain trying to find a work around for someone else incompetence, lack of knowledge or laziness in trying to determine the problem and finding a way to resolve it.   JMHO

I've run into issues with this a few times over the years on 6.7s.  Even though the Scheduled Maintenance Tool form listed 5W40 - which I thought was accurate, as they usually show to use 10W30; we ended up getting charged back for the additional expense, as Ford says it is our responsibility to find out if the customer had purchased the synthetic oil package instead of the conventional oil package; regardless of what the SMT says.

• 5 months later...

Hey Alex,

It will show the advisor in OASIS if they got synthetic oil or not. I'm not running into this problem on Transit much, but on Focus RS have a few. If the car requires synthetic, the business office has to make sure they sell a synthetic contract. My 2 cents was there should be some kind of override in the system that ensures the appropriate contract on the car, but the ESP rep doesn't care (but he doesn't care about much of anything except that it gets sold).

Every time one comes in the difference between the regular oil and synthetic oil gets charges back to the business office/NCD policy account. They screwed it up, so they have to eat it. I haven't seen it happen recently on anything we've sold, so hopefully that process is straightened out now that they've had to pay for a few.