replacing engine in a e450 cutaway 6.0

Rate this topic

hey guys, new member first post. bought an 2010 e 450 plumbers van for cheap. customer drove it till it locked up, getting ready to pull cab and install new engine. any one had experience with ashville engine rebuilders, we have always used ford short blocks and long blocks. ashville is cheaper in price. the ford warranty is better as they provide nation wide coverage and will pay labor. any input would be great. thanks

I have done body off's on Econolines. As I recall that as long as the body bolts in the back are accessible the process is actually easy. Easier than an F-Series or Excursion. If you are installing a complete drop in reman engine it saves you the time and hassle of having to disassemble the engine to install it. Otherwise I do not pull the oil pans I take the top end apart and remove the valve covers and high pressure oil rails then the engine will slip in. Of course this requires the use of the Rotunda engine lifting bracket on the end of my crane.

I've done lots of E-Series engines and I've always just pulled them out the front. Just like Keith, tear apart the top side, valve covers and oil rails and it will come out. But of course most of my E-Series Jobs were ambulances or upfitter body's added on. As far as Ashville Engines, I've heard of them. The story I heard was they make you install a new front cover, the rear cover and oils pans have to swapped over. By the time you added parts and labor to build them up equal to a Ford long block, you had more money tied up. I would push for the Ford engine just for the warranty.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do differently... I pulled transmission out first, ( very easy), top part of engine ( turbo, intake manifold, cooler, etc), oil filter assembly and tubing and motor mounts... 
My opinion... lot easier to put motor back in without transmission, no worries of lining up converter bolts... then reinstall transmission.....
May be little unorthodox, but I like it and felt it is faster.....just my 2 cents... Good Luck.

• Like 1