'17 f250 DEF gauge

Rate this topic

leon

I am trying to find information on the operation of this gauge, customer complains of gauge drops from full to @ half  with no indication in between

it came in reading @ half and I put in 2 gallons and it is reading full.  No codes in ipc.  I'm not sure what type of level sender it is using,  And I can't

seem to find what I'm looking for in the wsm or pced. 

The DEF level sensor is still a 3 bar sensor assembly indicating full, half and empty so it stands to reason the the "gauge" would behave this way. By the way the information is in the PCED under the Engine Control Components section.

Ok guys, I was on this same thought path, but I was having a hard time making sure.  It seems to reason to me

that its most likely the way it is going to operate.  Keith I was looking through that section and...well I didn't see what I was looking for.

I'm sure you are right.  thanks for the replies

"The reductant quality module provides the reductant tank level and reductant concentration to the PCM. The reductant quality module

incorporates an ultrasonic transducer and sensor assembly, located at the bottom of the reductant tank. The transducer produces timed

ultrasonic sound waves through the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) and the sensor measures the return rate of the sound waves. As the DEF is

consumed, the liquid level lowers and the return speed increases. Additionally, the sensor monitors reductant concentration percentage by

calculating the speed of sound travel through the DEF and comparing it to an expected value. If this value is not met, the reductant is diluted

or contaminated. The reductant quality module is integral to the reductant tank assembly. "

Copied out of the PC/ED manual for a 17 F-250, description and operation, engine control components, Reductant Quality Module.

• Like 1

Thanks, Chad.  I think my problem on finding information on this was I was lookling for des.and op. of a level/heater assembly

For some reason I couldn't grasp the reductant quality module as being my target...  I guess... I suppose its time to revisit the pced

and enjoy some quality reading.

I had ran into one a few months ago that wouldn't take DEF like it was full, but the DEF level showed empty. After reading in the PC/ED manual, I decided to pull the tank to physically check the fluid level before I ordered a tank. That's when I found the fill hose had been wrapped around the vent housing at the factory, and with the tank and bed installed it pinched off the fill hose. I got that fixed and it took DEF normally. Other than that, I haven't seen any issues with DEF on the 17 and newer models.

• 3 months later...