3.2l - DEF in fuel till it died

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Alex Bruene said:

Seeing that Transits have a capless fuel filler, you really need to go out of your way to pull that one off!

THat's a pretty good point!  Not that it changes anything. I don't think I have even heard of this happening to a Transit...

I just repaired a 2016 E-450 last week that someone had dieseled up. I too, asked how it was possible for the person doing the fueling to physically fit the diesel nozzle into a filler intended for unleaded?

13 minutes ago, mchan68 said:

I just repaired a 2016 E-450 last week that someone had dieseled up. I too, asked how it was possible for the person doing the fueling to physically fit the diesel nozzle into a filler intended for unleaded?

I take it you’ve never seen the small sized diesel nozzles?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Alex Bruene said:

Seeing that Transits have a capless fuel filler, you really need to go out of your way to pull that one off!

YUP, It's possible. One of our other "techs" in the shop brought one in a couple mornings ago to do an FMPP on one. This particular one was a high roof extended wheelbase version loaded pretty heavily with equipment in the back. To start, he set the rear legs of the lift on the rear quarter panel outer lips and buckled them in pretty good as he was raising his lift. If it's not bad enough the advisor had to be apologetic to the customer for this little boo boo, let's add insult to injury. As I was walking by, I thought I'd saw that he was pouring DEF into a filler that was higher than I remembered it being on Transits so I paused. Sure enough, he was pouring it into the fuel filler!!! So now, we have body work to eat on this, as well as my time to clean up the DEF mess up. It's amazing what only about a litre of DEF will do to a full tank of diesel.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, mchan68 said:

Sure enough, he was pouring it into the fuel filler!!! So now, we have body work to eat on this, as well as my time to clean up the DEF mess up. It's amazing what only about a litre of DEF will do to a full tank of diesel.

I have 3 hoists.  They are the only 3 hoists in the shop that are capable of properly lifting a full size Transit (with the exception of the alignment rack).  A few months ago, somebody came in and insisted on waiting for a brake inspection.  I was too busy, and one of the other guys said that wasn't the case, and any hoist can lift a transit.  He brought it in, lifted it by the pinch welds and buckled both rear quarters.  All I could do was laugh.

Thankfully, anything with a diesel engine is only serviced by myself or my backup, so we will never have issues with people going out of their way to pour DEF in to a fuel tank.