Starter Protection Mode

Rate this topic

Just diagnosed a 2016 F750 with a 6.7L for a no crank condition. Followed pinpoint tests A in WSM and led to replacing the PCM. I was going to contact the Hot-Line but I was reading through the self help/prior contacts and there was one exactly like mine. They advised the tech to perform some tests then replace the PCM because the condition could only be corrected with a new PCM. Sounds weird.

My truck would start if I removed the relay in the BJB and jumped the terminals. The pinpoint tests mostly had me checking PIDs in the PCM and the BCM for ignition status changes, network faults and TR sensor position of course and then the starter PIDs in the PCM. This where I see most of the PIDs in "disabled" mode and the starter protection mode enabled. Otherwise the PIDs were doing what they wee supposed to properly indicating everything correctly... with the exception of the PCM. Also, there were no DTCs.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this. It's probably a medium duty thing.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up on this - since all of the PID's in the BCM and the PCM were indicating key status and TR sensor status correctly, the starter protection mode was corrected by replacing the PCM as the Hot Line informed. What I wish I had done was continued to contact them to find out what could have triggered that condition and WHY is PCM replacement the only way to correct it? I know Cummins has a similar starter protection strategy in our medium trucks however the ECM simply locks you out for a time and resets leaving a code behind. Must be a Ford thing. :scratch:

How about replacing the starter as a PCM protection mode? Starters are cheaper and don't require so much freakin' download and profiling. Oh, excuse me, I had a moment of common sense. I'll try not to let that happen again.