No work for 3 months

Rate this topic

Chad_Kelsoe

So in Alabama, we don't see snow or ice very often. Usually once a year we get flurries, but only every 3-4 years do we get enough to make an impact. So on last Tuesday(the 16th), we got around an inch. The main issue was that the temps the day before was in the 50's, but we had an arctic front moving in. So any snow on the roads would melt, but the frigid temps caused it to refreeze and form a layer of ice.

So at 10 that morning, our boss sent us home. No problem for me, I got an older 4x4 with mechanical lockers and good tires. On my way home, I came upon a stranded truck on a small hill. I stopped to offer assistance and disaster struck. I lost my footing on the ice and fell. I heard the snap, and once I had landed and tried to get up my worst fear had came true; my right leg was broken. I had made through 32 years and never had a major injury, but this time I wasn't so lucky. 911 was called, the local VFD showed up and kept me warm till the ambulance showed up.

Once at the ER, X-Ray verified both bones had compound fractures and required surgery. They went ahead and did it that evening. Spent a few days recovering and came home on Friday. I go tomorrow for my first checkup, but after surgery doc said 6-8 weeks no weight bearing,  3 months no work.  I had just started this job a few months the ago, and had neglected to get myself disability insurance(lesson learned). Luckily, my family and local church are raising funds to help with bills. I did have health insurance through work, so I should be mostly ok there. And my work has stated that they will continue to pay for the insurance while I'm off work. 

Just never know how quick things can change. My biggest problem now is being stuck at home. My wife is a stay at home mom for our 3 year old, and I've always been the provider. It sucks knowing that I'm gonna be sitting here at home, not being able to provide for my family. But luckily family and church is helping there. Hopefully still being young and fairly heathly, I can heal up soon and get back to what I love to do. Any advice y'all can give to help me to pass to time? Books, movies, etc? 

Chad, That's terrible news.

Follow the Dr's advice about the recovery. It gets harder to heal as you get older.

If you have a go fund me type thing, post it here.

PS,  Think of all the time you have for online training!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your injury.  If you have compound tib/fib fractures, let me give you some advice.  DO NOT SCREW AROUND ON YOUR RECOVERY!   Those bones are slow to heal in a lot of folks.  If you push it or do something dopey, and re-break them, you are in for a long haul recovery. I've had 2 friends that spent extended time in wheelchairs on this injury.  Listen to your doctor.  Do the rehab as it is laid out for you.  This is one injury that you don't "cowboy" the recovery.  

Get better soon!

Joe

Thanks for the replies. Today marks 2 weeks since the incident. Seems like the longest 2 weeks of my life. I saw the doctor last Thursday( 1-25). They took x-rays and doctor said everything looked good. They went ahead and took all my staples out. I had 3 small incisions on the left side of my right ankle and knee, a slightly larger one on top of my knee(where they inserted the rod) and 1 long one of the right side of my ankle, going about 7 inches up my leg( where they inserted the plate and pins). Those are healing well. I have a physical therapy nurse come to my house every other day during the week, and they have exercises for me to complete.  And yes it was a compound tib/fib break. After my last visit, the doc said I can start to apply some weight to my leg, but not anything over 50lbs. I use it from time to time to help balance myself if standing up(say brushing my teeth, or washing my hands). I have a shower bench that allows me to take normal showers.

As far as things to do, I have a Amazon Fire Stick which I have downloaded an app called Terrarium TV. It gives me unlimited movies and tv shows. Also my father has always had a lot of books on WWII, so he has brought me several books to read. As far as online training, I have everything complete. I was scheduled to go next week to Advanced Engine Performance class, and my doctor has approved me going so that will be nice. But I don't get out much right now. My right ankle is still swollen and has some fluid in it, so I try to keep it elevated as much as possible.

As far as work, they have been great. They told me that they would continue to cover my health insurance for me while I was out of work( I have family coverage), and then last Friday I noticed a deposit in my checking account( we have direct deposit). When I asked my manager, he just stated it was a little something to help out. Now it wasn't a full paycheck, but between 1/3 and 1/2 of what I would have normally brought home during an average week. At this point, being there just a little over 7 weeks I was totally surprised. In the short amount of time, they have been great to me, already paying me holiday days, buying any tools that were needed, etc. To do this has just gave me peace of mind that I have found a great dealer to work for.

And my church has been great. This past Sunday they gave me a check that will cover at least 1 month, maybe nearly 2 months worth of bills. I know some of yall have asked. I do not have any type of go fund me account, but if you do wish to donate then I would suggest doing it through my church. https://gracefellowshipfamily.com/ is the website, and you should see a giving link that you can click and it will open a page to give online. You can just put what it's for in additional comments. Now I didn't post this to ask for donations, but I know many people are the giving type. So if you so wish to do so, just know that I am thankful and hopefully I can repay you sometime.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had a good doctor visit yesterday. X-rays show that I healing up well, and the doctor said I could start putting weight on it. Once I'm comfortable with that I can start walking. I went to class in Atlanta about 2 weeks ago for the Advanced Driveability class, and the instructor there introduced me to a knee crutch. That thing has been a life saver. http://iwalk-free.com/ is the one I bought. My doctor has even offered to buy it from me when I'm done with it. I'm kinda back at work now. They have a younger tech that has some diesel experience working in the truck shop, so I'm gonna start coming in 3 days a week to help with mainly with diagnosis and if he gets stuck on a repair. It will probably be another month to 6 weeks before I'm back full time and hopefully back to a normal pace. My work has been great, still paying my insurance and they pay me about $400 every week, even though I'm not here. It's hard to find a good dealer with good managers, but I think I found one. They keep telling me they just wanna help me though this time and want me to come back healthy and spend the rest of my career here. I can't think of any other job that I've had prior that would have done this. Anyways, here my x-ray pics for yall to enjoy. I actually broke the smaller bone in 2 places, that's why there is such a long plate holding it. And the rod is inside the main leg bone from my understanding. I'm not sure when it will come out, if it will. I go back to the doctor in another 4 weeks and I'll know more then.

Broke Leg front view.JPG

Broke Leg Side View.JPG

Repaired Leg Front View.JPG

Repaired Leg Side View.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well after 3 months I'm finally back to work 5 days a week. Been doing part time for the last 6 weeks or so. I'm actually walking all on my own now, no assistance from crutches or a cane. I go back to the doctor in 2 weeks for another checkup. My last checkup a month ago he said I wasn't 100% healed in the bone yet, but I could continue to put weight on it and work light duty. Most of the pain is gone, unless I do something stupid like try to twist my leg or use it to push something heavy(like a bucket full of coolant). I'm trying to keep what I do pick up under about 30 pounds( that's what my daughter weighs). Still bragging on my employer. They continued to pay our health insurance for 90 days and worked out an hourly average so that working 20 hours a week got me around $500 a check. My biggest issue now is finding a pair of comfortable shoes. I bought some Sketcher work shoes that resemble a tennis shoe, as I wanted something light. They are slip resistant and have a gel insole, but at the end of the day my feet are still killing me. So if y'all have any suggestions for good work shoes on concrete, I'm gladly take them. The only thing is I'm looking to stick with ankle height( my leg and ankle still have some swelling at the end of the day), as light as possible, but most importantly comfortable.

• Like 2

Glad to see you're back at it and really happy to hear that your employer has supported you the whole time, that says a lot about him and you both.

I can't recommend shoes but I can recommend insoles.  I can't hardly walk without extra arch supports, so you might want to give that a try. I use Powersteps in all of my shoes, they add about 1/2-3/4" height in the middle.  I'm in constant pain if I don't wear them. Shoe stores have them for about $40 or 20something on Ebay.......

:grin: