2017 F-450 Will Not Connect to IDS

Rate this topic

I have a very interesting one here. 2017 F-450 Platinum pickup tow truck with 18492 kilometers in for a Check Engine light. I put the vehicle into Accessory mode (push button start) and connect the VCM cable to the data link connector, and the instrument cluster as well as touch screen go completely dead at the same time as the VCM icon on the lower right corner of the IDS screen disappears. Remove cable from the DLC and the cluster as well as the touch screen come back to life. I've tried two IDS's, mine and the shop's with the exact same things happening. So, I've tried disconnecting the batteries and PCM connectors for longer than five minutes. Same thing happens. With the batteries disconnected, pins 6 and 14 as well as 3 and 9 of the DLC both check out at 61 ohms. With the batteries reconnected and the vehicle placed in accessory mode, pins 3 and 6 check measure out at 2.8 volts. Pins 9 and 14 measure out at 2.1 volts (with the black lead probing pin 4 for all of the above checking. My understanding is these are normal expected readings. I've asked the service advisor to call the customer and ask if there are any aftermarket add-ons installed, particularly GPS trackers, anything electronic, to which I receive an almost immediate negative response (I call bullshit but whatever). I don't see anything under the dash that appears to be spliced into the data link connector (not at a quick glance anyways). This vehicle exhibits no starting or driving driveability symptoms whatsoever. The only unusual message that appears when powering up, is "front camera malfunction" but other than the Check Engine light, nothing else. Now at a loss and open to suggestions. Obviously something in the IDS/VCM is pissing off some modules in this truck.

Make sure u connect to dlc before turning key on. the dlc is a gateway module. I have also had bad gateway modules that with the well used vcm 2 cable it acts up plug in vcmm and no issues. I talked to my fse about it and he said they are running into it

SSM 47070 - Various Vehicles - Data Link Connector (DLC) Connection - Vehicles Equipped With Gateway Module (GWM)
When connecting the Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) to the DLC located on the driver side under the steering column at the GWM, make sure that the ignition is off before connecting the VCM. If the ignition is on or the engine is running during the connection, it can result in various warning lights being illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), no start or no crank conditions or theIPC inoperative. For Lincoln vehicles, this information is now listed in the Technical Inspection and Post Road Test Sections of ePDI on the PTS website. If a vehicle displays these issues, disconnect the equipment from the DLC and disconnect the vehicle battery. Wait 10 minutes and reinstall with the ignition off. Clear any DTCs present and retest.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There was a ssm for spread pins in the dlc causing this. Somehow the ids overloads the networks because of the spread pins. I believe it was the ground pin at the dlc. 

I have been running into this with regard to fleets bringing trucks in baffled by this. I assume that there is something legitimately wrong with these trucks however this condition is clouding the issue and of course, the information I get on the repair order is incorrect. I finally had the opportunity to speak to the drivers of a county ambulance with this "problem" and I asked them "what is happening with the truck." They stated the check engine light comes on. The people from the county garage thinks its a network problem. After I straightened out the connection codes I discovered that the truck has a bad DPF. Now I have four FDNY ambulances with the same complaint and I don't think they figured out the connection process yet. THat reminds me, I need to shoot them an email.

This particular truck in question, ended up the DLC was faulty. I found this out by fluke when I borrowed a DLC from another customer truck that came in for service. Upon connecting to IDS with the borrowed DLC, I quickly found the cause of the Check Engine light to be a poorly modified relocation of the PM module and sensor to accommodate the upfit of the tow hardware. Of course, the customer declined to pay retail for the repair.