6.4 Mods?

Rate this topic

Take my buddy's 2002 F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke in it. He came in completely stock other than a pac brake. I installed a banks 6 gun module, MBRP stainless 4" turbo back exhaust with a muffler, K&N intake and an SCT xcal 2 with an 80 HP mild tune.

When it came in, he had driven as he normally does on his 18 mile trip into work. The overhead monitor showed 17MPG. He drove it home and drove it back the next day. Now the overhead showed 21MPG.

Now, don't get me wrong, he can really beat the hell out of it and it will go down...but a stock engine will do that as well.

Have you guys noticed that other site has added a 6.4 modification forum? I can't wait to start reading about, "to hell with the environment, I don't want to have a DPF slowing me down, I will run a WVO system and Ford can pay for my DPF when it fails, can I run dual stacks straight through my hood, yada, yada, yada"...

I noticed the new forum and you can say "The Diesel Stop," other diesel sites/forums are not thought of as competition or taboo here.

My Frosted side says: I was immediately amused and thought the same thing. But it has me thinking though. IF these were cars, it would be called Hot-Rodding wouldn't it? In our vocation we tend to look down upon these Hot-Rodders but it is kinda cool what you can do to a truck now.

My Plain side Says: It is way to easy for Joe truck owner to re-program his engine, bolt on some "better parts" and really screw up his engine. When the mods start to rear their ugly heads and become evident in our bays, then you will hear from my "Toasted Side!" :mad:

In Kieths vein....

My sporty side says " I have no problem with someone having a modified truck/car/boat/airplane/motorcycle/skateboard/ironing board... or what have you and going for a Sunday cruise...". When it comes to warranty - you play = you pay....

My "tree hugger nazi" side says " Vehicles meant for daily use are required to meet various tailpipe and evaporative emissions requirements.... If it is good for my lungs, it will likely be good for my (yet unmet) grandchildrens lungs. I can extrapolate that it will most likely be good for the lunbgs of all reading this and most of the people they know and love.... If defeating emission controls or sidestepping emissions requirements by changing fuel and timing curves is "OK", why would we even bother to try and clean up the atmosphere to begin with?".

I'm not naive enough to think that we will ever achieve "zero pollution".... at the same time, I expect that it is the duty of all responsible "adults" to minimize the pollution that we leave behind.... Not to the point where we exclude our own personal brand of enjoyment, but at least to the point where we can use words like "in moderation"....

I'm that wierd old, crusty guy that every town has.... I compost, I recycle, I stoop down and pick up that stray piece of refuse and drop it in the can it was dropped beside..... And I have been known to confront the odd "litterbug".

Looking around our shop, I'm even trying to convince the DP that I need to prepare a course on "the care and use of garbage cans".

I support guys modding their trucks cause I would do the same thing. however when they expect ford to pay for something they modifyed thats where I draw the line. I like the comment "you play you pay" I mod my vehicles knowing I will have to fix them, thats fine by me since I know how. of course not everyone knows how but again they need to step into the aftermarket world now and find someone that can do it for them.

Pretty much, kieth... The Ottocycle motor is a heat engine. The more heat that we can produce in the combustion chamber, the more power we can make....

Through camshaft design, intake and exhaust design and other considerations, we can design for low fuel consumption in low to mid range rpms at the cost of high rpm power - or, we can design for max power output at the cost of midrange driveability. In either case, tailpipe emissions will suffer in some form.

Since I've said all this, remember that my version of hotrodding is long overlap cams, Holley carbs with sewer pipes for venturis and the idea that there is no replacement for displacement...

Ah yes the Days of REAL motors Lol.. I can remember getting a New SS Chevelle in 69. 396-375 11.1's ,Factory solid lifter Bumpstick,Rectangular Open chamber Heads,Yada Yada.All of the good stuff right from the factory.Those days can never be duplicated.(ramble over)

I love being a mechanic, I can fix my own stuff as well as mod them. Take tonight for example. I was working on a big truck and there was a guy that came in to get parts and had a decent looking 2500 goat. I spoke with the guy and will be doing some performance mods.

But, being as I work at IH, I don't really see the modifications as much as the Ford techs do. But, trust me, we get some really rigged up stuff in the shop if you know what I mean.

I love being a mechanic, I can fix my own stuff as well as mod them. Take tonight for example. I was working on a big truck and there was a guy that came in to get parts and had a decent looking 2500 goat. I spoke with the guy and will be doing some performance mods.

But, being as I work at IH, I don't really see the modifications as much as the Ford techs do. But, trust me, we get some really rigged up stuff in the shop if you know what I mean.

I have yet to see any Mods on a VT in a International,I am sure they exist but only a select few will ever do it.On the Other hand I have seen plenty of C-15 ACCERT CATS with Power boxes on them and some have Scatterd Turbos running this stuff.There have only been a couple of Owners try to Lie thier way out of it as far as running a cheater box.But The download of the ECM seems to Bust them every time.When in question we send the ECM Download to our CAT rep first instead of The Factory claims center.They know right off the Bat if parameters have been alterd even if the History is clean.Apparently There are other ways to tell that a Dealer cannot acess.The most Stuff on a IH I used to see were The Homemade ICP resistor boxes on T-444E's usually on Towtrucks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a few of the resistor boxes, high pressure crossover lines. I have even seen a Garrett GTP38R turbo in a tow truck once. I have seen one 466 with the TS MP8 Module on it. The truck was running horribly and removal of the box fixed the problem. We hid the box in the cab and didn't tell the customer. Followed up with him and he didn't even notice that the box wasn't on the the truck power wise.

• 4 months later...

In the latest and greatest Diesel Power magazine, they have used a power adder chip on a 6.4PSD. They can get 3 WOT bursts with the truck before it goes into regeneration mode. :thumbup: Can see a DPF lasting a long time with that sort of abuse.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...