headgasket failure.

Rate this topic

I am working in a 2011 with 100220 miles. the customer thinks headgaskets are leaking because there are bubbles in degas bottle when holding it at 2000 rpms. I have driven truck several times and has no other signs of headgaskets. It never loses heat and does not push any coolant out. I test drove with a pressure gauge in cooling system and never passed 12psi and the cap will hold 17psi. I am getting a new exhaust gas detection kit in morning because Mine must have legs and walked away. I personally don't think the headgasket is blown but owner is convinced it is. Its not the egr cooler because it is deleted. Any one have any other suggestions.

Truck was just flushed when deleting egr cooler and coolant is full. The original coolant was universal and had black droplets in but it was not oily nor did it seem like fuel. I used block tester this morning and ran it for 15 mins both cold and hot. The fluid never changed colors. I feel pretty confident that I have ruled out a head issue. I am now thinking it may be inter cooler leaking boost into cooling system or passenger valve cover wear coolant feeds to egr cooler.

If you drove it with a pressure gauge on it in the cab and it stayed below 12PSI, you don't have a problem. If you were leaking any kind of "gas" into the cooling system your pressure would spike as soon as you hit the throttle.  As far as the delete goes, no comment.

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, lraffe1 said:

I am now thinking it may be inter cooler leaking boost into cooling system

The charge air cooler is on the secondary cooling system. It wouldn't affect the primary system.