INJECTOR SOLENOID SWAP: 2000 F250

Rate this topic

I HAVE A CUSTOMER HERE THAT HAS 3 CRACKED INJECTOR SOLENOIDS WHERE THE CONNECTOR IS. THESE ARE PERFORMANCE INJECTORS BUT HAVE STOCK SOLENOIDS ON TOP. THE CUSTOMER HAS RECORDED THE SOLENOID NUMBERS OF THE INSTALLED INJECTORS AND IS GOING TO COMPARE THEM TO HIS STOCK ONES. IF THEY ARE THE SAME NUMBER, WHAT IS INVOLVED IN SWAPPING THE 3 BROKEN ONES? DO I NEED ANY TYPE OF GASKET KIT AND CAN THEY BE DONE IN HEAD?

Short answer- take out the screws and change the magnets like Keef said, it's super easy. 

Long answer- With high mileage they'll build magnetic grunge under the magnet, blow them out with brake clean and air while the magnet is off. I've heard of guys fixing running complaints doing this when there was no $$ for injectors. 

IH also had a big campaign about proper shimming of the magnet using a depth mike and different thickness spacers to compensate for sinking valve faces, I think. Make sure there's a few thou under the armature plate when the magnet is off and the little screw is tight as it can loosen up. If the armature plate is bottoming out on the injector body that's bad.

In my notes I have 2.77 to 3.17 ohms is the acceptable range.