before it happens to you...

Rate this topic

Today I had an LCF towed in for rough running and excessive smoke. I started it up in the lot and drove it to the shop... ran fine, normal amount of smoke. Ran OASIS, no TSBs or SSMs for this concern. So, I tried to rev it up a few times to see if it would smoke, after about the third time bringing it up to about 2000rpm, it started to smoke, then ran away on me (well over the 4000 rpm on the tach) for about a minute and blew the engine. I called hotline to get some info. and a contact no. for my powertrain request, only to find out that International has a TSB for this exact problem being caused by icing of the CCV system, and there is an update to be performed on this... I guess that Ford didn't find it important enough to make a TSB out of... yet...

I've seen that TSB, but I can't seem to find it right now. It has to do with removing the ccv and installing just a breather hose down the side of the block. I sent this to Keith maybe he still has it, I'll keep looking and let you know.

I have it. The hotline engineer I was speaking to e-mailed it to me. I just wish that it were a Ford TSB that would have come up when I ran OASIS, so I would have known about it, rather than cause a run-away while trying to verify the concern. Next problem is that there are no parts available through Ford... not even a listing with the parts department, so they've referred it to International...

No there are no parts avail. for these. We had Isuzu buy a couple of LCF's and these had the ccv systems on them, they wanted to purchase the ccv for testing, which is when I found out about the problem that they have/had with these. It was actually kinda funny because we had these trucks here with the ccv on them and tech. line tells me that these trucks did not have these on them. We sent digital photos to them to prove they were wrong. Which is when they came up with the tsb. (Go figure)

It's been a few days now, and we've yet to hear about engine availability. I feel for the customer who is at my dealer for the first time. He came to us because he needed it done in a hurry, and his regular dealer said they couldn't get to if for a few days. So much for his rush I suppose. I obviously haven't done the TSB yet either, but the instructions seem a bit vague. I'll see how it turns out.

I have just done the recall on an International CF. It comes with a new intake pipe and breather assembley for the valve cover. Make sure to also check the IPR connection for corrosion. If there is corrosion in it, it will cause a rough running/smoke problem as well. There is an IH AFC letter out on this as well.

Released February 2, 2007:

Customer Satisfaction Program 06B40

Certain 2006 and 2007 Low Cab Forward Vehicles - Engine Crankcase Ventilation System Upgrade and Oil Level Indicator Tube Inspection

OVERVIEW

This program involves upgrading the crankcase ventilation system. One of two service kits will be used for the upgrade depending on the year designated on the label affixed to the breather assembly. The breather assembly is located on the left valve cover ...

TO LATE.............

But I did get shut down before it blew I jumped out of the cab, whipped it up and stuffed my jacket into the air cleaner.

I don't know how I got my fat !@#!?$! out of the cab and the cab up so fast it's been high teens low 20's deg F lately so i guess it was frozen huh... 19 deg f is way to cold to be outside with your jacket stuffed in a air cleaner Posted Image

I would suggest running OASIS before working on these and make an effort to perform the recalls it's in your shop. My dealer has seven in stock and I ordered parts for all of them... the fuel lines are not released yet.

I performed the recalls for the first time today. All pretty straight forward and easy to do but you will want to do them (engine related) all at the same time because it's easier to get at the IPR and right fuel line with all inlet tube and air cleaner out of the way. This one was not sludged up but there was quite a bit of water in the vapor separator.

We had another one today with the impactor totally iced up. It smoked pretty bad, good thing it had been towed in. We've made a habit of removing the cold side CAC tube when we're bringing into the shop, it's easier than pushing I suppose. Still waiting on the engine for my original blown up unit though. I was told it "might" be in transit next week... on the bright side, there are only supposed to be about 350 or so affected units in all of Canada.

• 4 weeks later...

I am buried in recalls up to my ears. they only take about .5 to do and pay 2.3 for all of them. gravy. now if I could just get parts in stock for them!