Trailer Testers

Rate this topic

I just had a tough time diagnosing a "Trailer Disconnected" and several trailer lighting fault messages on the cluster of a 2018 F350. Part of the difficulty I had was due to the use of my long time trusty Tekonsha Trailer Emulator which I have not needed for some time to diagnose trailer connection issues. 

TekonshaEmulator300.jpg

It seems that this tool no longer works with 2017 MY Super Duty trucks due to the the addition of the Trailer Tow Module used in tandem with the Trailer Brake module. I am also reading that F150's have the same issue - I am not sure what model years are affected though. It seems to still properly show lighting and brake operation by the LED's on the tool but it WILL cause error messages when using the brakes and the lights. I have verified this on three different trucks so it is confirmed. So what do you use now to diagnose those concerns while towing? I don't think many dealers have any trailers laying around for testing purposes and we asked the customer if he could make one of his trailers available for testing his truck/concern which did not go over well.

The newest I have done is a 2016 and I have the above tester. I have found that any thing with a magnet works. eg. old trailer magnet, 6.0 throttle valve motor, speaker. Depends what kind of feed back your looking for. I took a trailer plug and some duplex wire so I can put it in the cab and go for a ride if needed. I like the motor because I can watch the speed increase and also put a amp clamp on it.

1 minute ago, Keith Browning said:

Joe have you verified that it works on the newer model years with trailer modules?

I'm not Joe, but I can verify this works on the 2017 and newer trucks with the trailer modules. I had my dealer purchase a couple last year and have used it several times. I will say before you attempt to diagnosis for no 12 volt supply to the trailer plug, read the WSM. From the WSM "

Trailer Battery Charging

The TRM provides voltage to the trailer tow connector for trailer battery charging when all the Following are true:

• the TRM detects that a trailer is connected
  • the ignition is on and engine is running
  • a brake pedal application has been detected in the present ignition cycle
  • the BCM load shed strategy is not active (a message will be displayed in the instrument cluster, such as "Low Battery Features Temporarily Turned Off" or "Turn Power Off To Save Battery", to indicate that BCM load shed strategy is active)

The TRM directly (no relay) supplies fuse protected voltage for trailer battery charging"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

Joe have you verified that it works on the newer model years with trailer modules?

Yup.  That's the best reason for getting it.  It fakes the trailer load so the module wakes up and does what it is supposed to.  

Also, the reason there is a Version A Model is because it didn't work on the 2017 Silverado, and they modified the board so it would.  So it is definitely for vehicles with Trailer Modules.

Joe

• Like 1

I don't think the word "fakes" is most accurate. It is supposed to simulate a trailer braking system. The problem with the Tekonsha is likely that it does not simulate the load well and with the lighting now being module controlled, likely with load sensing, I am thinking that the lighting circuits now need to be properly/appropriately loaded as well. I suppose with enough motivation a guy could make a tester with real parts from a trailer brake system and some lighting. I will admit though, I like having a nice tool to do the job though. :)

Long time ago a shop I worked at had a tekonsha unit that was a 12" x12" aluminum box with a 30' cable. It had indicator lights for all lamp functions, a volt meter for the charge circuit, an ammeter and a voltmeter for the brake circuit. We opened it up one day to find 4 trailer brake magnets inside. It was essentially a whole trailer in a portable box.