Gasser Ride Quality

Rate this topic

Have any of you felt that gas powered Super Duty pick ups tend to have a bouncy ride? Mostly 2011-16.  I find it particularly uncomfortable and some trucks actually make be feel a little sick to my stomach. Are there known ways to improve this like tires and shocks for example?

I have a used 2015 that a guy just bought and says it shakes at 20 MPH... I drove it and you feel every bump in the road. smooth pavement is smooth. Stock Crew Cab 4X4

How about whether or not, it's equipped with a snow plow package suspension? The sensation you describe is exactly the way I felt, when I road tested a 5.4L 3-valve equipped F-250. Every bump whether slight or large was bone jarring to put it mildly.

3 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

The truck: 2015 350 4X4 6.2L, 10,000 GVW package, Plow Package and trailer tow package. I wonder why it rides like a dump truck.

You just answered your own question right there. These trucks aren't supposed to ride like Cadillacs to begin with. Add in the suspension package required for its intended purpose and ride quality is only further diminished.

No MIke, my question is are there any KNOWN ways to improve the ride quality. (without going too crazy)  I am putting a new set of Motorcraft shocks in this one and when I am done it is what it is. To expand, are aftermarket shocks like Bilstiens any better?

I can't really answer that one with any real objectivity Keith. All I know is, I have just over 62000 miles on my 2016 F-250 diesel. I'll be planning on replacing my factory shocks with the blue and yellow Bilsteins on all fours very shortly. I'll probably be replacing them at the same time as I replace my original Michelin AT2s with M/S2s on my factory 20s. Once all that is done, I expect I'll have a substantial improvement in ride quality. Until then, I won't know.

Personally. I haven't heard too much good feedback on either the factory standard shocks nor the Rancho shocks on trucks equipped with the FX4 packages. I've also heard some good feedback with Fox brand shocks, but I've also heard they are astronomically priced too.

• 4 weeks later...

Fx4 rancho shocks suck, Its a shame ford calls them an upgrade. Go with the bilistein 5100 series, these are the silver nickle colored body shocks, You will get an improvement but it wont be like an F150 ride.

I ditched the ranchos at 60k on my F250 and went with the bilistiens, Im now at 160k and its about time to replace them again so the longer life of the bilistiens justify the extra cost. This is on a 2011 diesel F250 crew cab short bed 4x4.

One thing that does drive me crazy is on some highways you get a bucking motion at all speeds. It only gets worse the faster you drive, Its like the perfect storm of wheel base and solid axle pickups that cant suck up the bumps fast enough it starts to build up and will shake your teeth out. Ive been in F150s on that same stretch of road and they are smooth but not my superduty! the 2011 is at least better then my 2001 leaf sprung F350 7.3. so I have that going for me! 

I also adjust my tire pressures a bit to try and help. Im not going to run 80psi in the rear unloaded so I drop them to about 50-55 psi in the rear and 60 in the front. I chalk line test the tire to make sure Im getting a full contact wear pattern for my particular tire regardless of what the TPMS tells me. When Im loaded I bump up the pressure for the load. 

When buying tires for these avoid the BFG ATIIs. Im going to be lucky to see 30k out of these! thats with rotating every 5k including cross rotations. They are just too soft for the diesel torque and my right foot!