Intermittent Stalling Multiple DTCs

Rate this topic

IMG_20191008_090228_1.thumb.jpg.be0034ead68d7615817788ae8e7f1b79.jpgI have one here, an '08 E-450 that has had numerous repairs to it before it landed on my doorstep. A brief 'history' of repairs it has had with me is all injectors on bank #2 to repair a previously hacked up injector pass through connector to the rocker box as well as a high pressure oil leak for a blown out top d-ring on another, as well as the heater hose that someone else repaired with worm clamps, and then a main engine harness due to multiple plugs hacked up and wires misrouted. The truck apparently ran fine for a while in service (moving company). Now it's been back a couple of times with a complaint of intermittent stalling with a 'wrench' light, but will restart and run and drive with no problems. DTCs are as they appear below, and they are CMDTCs. On-demand tests pass. I can't seem to duplicate concern. The only thing untoward to me, is an aftermarket ICP sensor but the ICP volts are within specs when viewed on datalogger along with other PIDs. Really unsure where to go with this. Customer has already dumped way more money into this than it's worth, as you can imagine.

ADDED:

EGR valve was replaced just a week ago, and the EGR VP reading is high at 1.22 volts but that's obviously not the cause of the issue. I'm leaning towards a v-ref short concern by the sounds of things. The question is WHERE? Is there anywhere else on an E-Series 6.0L that's outside of the engine harness that is common for a short. It's been a while since I've had to dig into an E-Series 6.0 and I don't miss it one bit!!!

Anything with that many codes makes me think of basic electrical.  Bad batteries, bad connections, PCM relay, excessive voltage drop, etc are at the top of the list. Start there, clean/load test bats, check ground cables, clean starter stud, etc. I usually sell 2-3 hours just for this before going further.

Good Luck!

14 hours ago, 8WA Sman said:

Fan clutch or APP problem?

Factory tune?

First two PIDs checked. Both reading correctly. Factory tune. Customer took it, and will return if the symptom becomes more consistent.

• 10 months later...

When I see that many codes, check FICM first, then check the engine harness. I just remember how the exposed grounds used to cut through the other wires in the harness. And if its on an ambulance you know that poor things been hacked and aborted several times.