Petition Ford to Restore Warranty Pay for technicians

Rate this topic

Frank_Edging

We all know Ford has eroded tech pay for warranty work for years, and some say decades. This has to stop. The bleeding of technicians is going to become exponential after the 2017 cuts. We need to stand up and demand Ford stop stealing money from our pockets to give themselves and Ford employees ridiculous bonuses. We have families to feed, and our pay has went down in the past 15 years. These labor reductions are also erroneously eroding customer pay because the labor time companies such as Alldata and Mitchell all pull labor times from Ford and add a multiplier. Even with the multiplier we all know of many jobs that still dont pay properly.

https://www.change.org/p/ford-motor-company-correct-ford-technician-pay

• Like 1

So, for the sake of discussion, what is the end goal of this petition against Ford?  Even if it receives 10,000 signatures I doubt that it would have any leverage against a corporation and it's policies. As technicians working at privately owned dealerships we ARE NOT employed by Ford Motor Company. Our pay is directly negotiated with those dealerships owners and management on a one to one basis depending on the skills, experience, certification level and the supply and demand for qualified individuals.

I've been a Ford flat rate technician since 1994. I do agree that labour times have decreased, both on the warranty side, and the retail side. I have heard various explanations as to why as well. I feel they are accurate and warranted. The days of the 200-300% gain time technician has long since past, and most likely for good reason. If I was not a technician, I doubt I could afford some of the bills going through my shop. I have heard other techs say the same thing. I feel the current labour time are fair and just. I also feel that some people just shouldn't work flat rate. That's my opinion.

Nope....I think bad financial planning promotes fraud. That plus Service writers that turn a blind eye to obviously over inflated retail times. I've seen many fleet companies leave dealerships because technicians charge to much or call un-needed repairs.

I know a few technicians that fit that category. Thankfully they are a low percentage of the population.

Fleet and insurance companies around here are starting to get access to retail labor time companies like Mitchell ETC. They double check all estimates before approving.

I have seen times drop over the years and I stick to book times, oddly enough my paycheck has not suffered. It's like you said, if you are a valued technician the employer takes measures to keep you.

• Like 1

100% agree Leon. Couldn't have said it any better.

I welcome the 3rd party warranty, fleet management and insurance companies to check the times on our estimates.

We strictly use Mitchell prodemand for our labour times, or in the odd chance they don't have it posted, then its warranty time + 30%.