6.2L Engine Noise

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

If you have experience with these engines you know there is a history of valve springs breaking - usually causes misfiring and popping noises or at the very least the MIL will be on. Now we have something new. I have had two trucks with what seemed to have a valvetrain noise which I could not  determine which side it was coming from. No misfires, no MIL. If you get one doing this start an IDS session and bring up data logger and select IMRC_MODE and start. Turn it on. If the noise goes away replace the intake manifold.

BTW the manifolds are currently on back order (gheee realllly?) so I haven't had the chance to dissect the IRMC issue. I also read two Hot-Line reports with the same issue and repair with positive results.

I had one of these trucks about a year ago. After conferring with hotline, we determined it was indeed the IRMC actuators causing the noise, and replacement of the manifold solved the noise. Haven't seen one making noise since and that truck has not returned.

Wasn't there a bulletin for this back in the day? I could swear there was an SSM saying normal function, do not replace the intake (under warranty), or something to that effect.