VCM 3

Rate this topic

Overall it is a faster tool that adds features above what the VCM 2 can do. If you don't work on medium duty trucks some of that won't benefit you. An on-board battery should prevent crashes due to voltage related scan tool connection is big. But as the flyer points out the VCM 2 will still work and will be supported for some time and unless my VCM 2 fails or is lost  I won't be upgrading any time soon myself. Unless I find a viable career change and my body will allow me, I can predict another 10-15 years in the business for me and I imagine eventually the VCM 2 will become obsolete as other scan tools and communication modules have. 

I don't have a problem with paying the price to invest in one at all. For me, I just need to know the investment is worthwhile. I am not dishing out the money for a VCMM. That would be a monumental waste of money in my opinion. 

The VCMM is a MUST for the SHOP but I agree that for the individual tech its more expense than justified. For example if you don't have a vibration analyzer warranty claims for vibrations will eventually be kicked.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this in the ids listing too but have not researched it just yet. Im sure this is just the next step to the IDS replacement software. 

As far as medium duty are we talking older stuff with cummins motors or the current stuff with powerstrokes? I have both but have not had many issues with the powerstroke units just yet. 

The medium duty applications still apply like WABCO and I imagine MD Truck too. Currently you needed the IC4 Com adapter for the 9-pin connection and I have used my Cummins INLINE6 adapter for those in the past. I wonder if you can use the VCM 3 with Cummins INSITE. You use the 16 pin DLC for the Power Stroke and Torqshift. It appears as thought the 9-pin cable for the VCM 3 is sold separately...

However I have not been able to find the "Medium Duty Truck DLC Adapter" in the Rotunda Website, alone or with any of the offered kits. I guess it's a secret for now.