General Transit observations...

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

Our shop now has a customer with a fleet of these fine vehicles, all gas, mix of both turbo and non turbo.

Is it common, to have jobs on these things "blow up" into bigger than you would normally expect?   It seems every time I get into one of these, for even minor things, stuff goes sideways.

Gee, I don't know. From subframe bolts seizing up into the bodies so bad that a 3/4" drive breaker bar and impact socket won't budge loose, to piss poor water drainage management that leads to every engine component fastener heads rusting so bad that you just about round every one of them when attempting to crack them loose, I can't think of much else. I do dig the rear pad and rotor slap with every service though. 

I guess I don't feel so bad. The last beast I had, it recently had new everything brake-wise put on it in the rear elsewhere, the hub seals let go and ruined all that.  Why can't they make bolts that last more than 1 time use, it's getting ridiculous.

2 bad ball joints and tie rod ends. 

Needed plugs and 1 coil, that turned into 3 coils as the inserts in the right valve cover spun on the rotted bolts (3.5).  and the coils that didn't were so welded to the plugs had to basically rip them out with channel lock pliers.  While doing the valve cover, the cam sensor bolts snapped right off, and I had to collapse the vct solenoid seals to prevent from destroying the solenoids. 

Prior van, 3.7 coolant turned to jelly, ruined the trans and oil coolers as they were completely restricted with that crap.  Did the rad.  WTF, can they NOT make them come out the bottom?  Changed it to the neon pee colored coolant. 

Both vans barely over 100k.

Oh, and another rant, what asshat engineer decided the "prongs" on the hood hinges were needed.  I put two good sized lumps on my head trying to reach into the engine compartment around that stupid hvac air inlet.  UGH.

• 2 weeks later...

As explained to me by one of our instructors. "Torque to wield bolts are reusable up to a certain point. To determine this point they need to be precisely measured. It is cheaper to replace then each time than it is to pay us to measure them."