Broadcast Message 0572

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Been waiting for the hammer to fall on this. Too many techs resealing front covers that don't leak. I wonder what the forthcoming TSB will bring us. 

Jul 30 2020 0572 - 2015-2019 F-Super Duty, 2016-2019 F-650/F-750 - 6.7L - Oil Leak Diagnosis

Some 2015-2019 F-Super Duty and 2016-2019 F-650/F-750 vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine may exhibit an oil leak from the oil filter, crankcase vent oil separator, oil cooler, upper/lower oil pan. This may be due to a clogged crankcase vent oil separator and/or a sealing concern. Do not remove/replace the engine front cover for upper oil pan leaks. Do not check for warpage on the upper oil pan.When the upper oil pan is not bolted to the vehicle, it has a natural tendency to twist slightly due to the manufacturing process for the pan and will not result in an oil leak. The Workshop Manual (Section 303-00 > Diagnosis and Testing >Engine > Engine Oil Leaks) provides information on the usage of fluorescent oildye to locate the source of an oil leak. Refer to GSB Oil Leaks Weeps And Seepsfor more oil leak diagnosis. Continue to monitor OASIS for updates.

At first I did upper oil pan reseals, but had a few come back leaking in the same spot (the t-joint at the upper oil pan, front cover, and block). Starting doing front covers and haven't had one come back. But I also do my front covers different. I hate working on stuff up above my head, so I would pull the cab and engine, put it on the stand and when it came to reseal the upper pan flip the engine over and let it sit overnight upside down. Throw it back in the morning and have it running by lunch. It takes us just as long to clean the block and upper oil pan properly as it does to remove and install. But I always see oil up above the upper oil pan, usually 2-3" above between the front cover and block.

• 3 months later...

I have a 17 F550 that I resealed the upper oil pan and rear main back in May came back leaking again today. It’s pouring out of the left side of the upper oil pan. Just for giggles I opened the oil cap with it running. I turned the cap the 1/4 turn and left it sit in the hole. As soon as I let go of it the pressure in the crankcase pushed the cap up with enough force I thought it was gonna hit the hood. We ordered a crankcase oil separator for it along with all the crap to do the upper oil pan over. 

You are talking about the replaceable filter element or the entire housing that eliminates the filter?  I replaced a filter yesterday that was plugged causing the MAP to clog up with we gooey carbon. I did not notice any change but then, a change might not be noticeable.