21E01

Rate this topic

mchan68

I see that Ford is now willing to pay for an expensive exhaust replacement for the owners of these vehicles that have this reflash done, IF it sets a P20EE after the reflash. But what happens to those trucks that have the reflash, and then come back shortly after with the dreaded P207F and diagnosis determines an SCR replacement is necessary? Will Ford still pay for that? What about extra parts like EGT sensors that we all know seize up in the exhaust?

"This program extends the warranty coverage of the catalytic converter portion of the selective catalyst reduction (SCR) system for twelve months of service, beginning on the date the powertrain control module (PCM) is reprogrammed under Emissions Recall 21E01. This program only applies if an SCR (converter) fault is detected and it is related to a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P20EE identified after 21E01 has been performed."

My point is if a vehicle, OUT-OF-WARRANTY for the exhaust after treatment system comes in to have the 21E01 reflash done, and the claim submitted (which immediately activates programs 21N02, 21N05 and 21N06), and then shortly after, comes back in with a Check Engine light (and any DTC pertaining to the SCR system in any way, P207F for example), the customer is still SOL if diagnosis determines an SCR needs replacement?

But.....according to the text copied from Program Terms for 21N06 above, Ford will pay for a new SCR catalyst ONLY IF P20EE is set? But not any other DTC that the end result is the SCR catalyst is determined faulty? That was my point, and leading up to the question of why Ford won't pay if there's any other DTC set leading to the SCR catalyst as the cause, as I understand it? Like you, I agree, a failed SCR, is a failed SCR.

• 4 months later...

The reason for the recall is that the PCM will not set a code or illuminate the CEL if there is a fault with either NOx sensors or if the SCR catalyst efficiency falls below acceptable parameters. I am thinking that any existing faults will quickly become evident once the reprogramming has been completed. P20EE is for SCR catalyst efficiency. Supposedly the previous PCM software either does not properly detect the fault or simply does not flag it. 

I do see your point however - looking at the pinpoint tests for the code there are other possible causes in the DEF system including the DEF quality and delivery... so what is the difference between P20EE an P207F? I am sure there is a difference which explains the existence of the two different codes but an engineer would have to explain that one as I am sure it has to do with how the loss of NOx reduction occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

I will take a stab at the difference. Looking at the PC/ED & OBDII my understanding of the info is that the P20EE is a 1 minute monitor ran 1 once per ignition cycle vs the P207F is continuous generally detected within 1 hour . The P20EE is most likely an obvious or raw data type failure where the P207F is based calculated data. eg. long & short term Nox efficiency

Right! The point I was trying to allude to, is Ford is willing to pay for an SCR catalyst under this program ONLY if it fails with P20EE setting, but NOT P207F setting? Which brings me to Keith's point that a failed SCR is a failed SCR (regardless of the DTC setting to point to its failure).

And....I just had a truck in last week, in for its 21E01 and a check and report on Exhaust Fluid Fault message. When I went to attempt a reflash, there was no later calibration available. Apparently, "his mechanic" already updated the PCM calibration very recently. So of course, I can't put the warranty claim through. Any guesses as to the reason for the Exhaust Fluid System fault message?

On 9/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, mchan68 said:

So of course, I can't put the warranty claim through.

Yes you can, we do it all the time. State PCM is already at latest calibration. They go through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just did 21E01 on a F550. Immediately after, it was stuck in idle mode. I didn't even get it out of the shop. There were no codes in it, everything passed. WTF???

I did the idle fault procedure in the pced, watching egts, def injector duty cycle, drive on lot, etc...

It came out of idle mode and ran fine on a road test, still no codes set. 

I have done these reflash recalls a lot of times before, but this is the first that gave trouble and I'm not sure why...