2001 F350. Dies under load after about 5 minutes of driving. Fuel issues.

Rate this topic

I have already removed and cleaned out the fuel tank. The metal tube that runs along the frame and connects the two tank vents was rusted out and the tank pick-up filters were plugged with rust and other stuff. Cleaned out the tank and pick-up and built a new vent tube system for the tank. Truck fired right up. Go for a drive and it starves for fuel. I was finally able to get some pieces for our gauge bar and have a pressure gauge before the filter and one finally in the head. When the vehicle wouldn't start I had 55-60 PSI to the filter housing. I am suspecting crap in the filter housing itself. My question is, and it's been too long since digging this far into a 7.3L, can the filter housing be taken apart and cleaned out?

Update: After getting some decent fittings for our gauge bar, I was able to get a fuel gauge off the head. When it stalls I still have 60 PSI at the head.  Fuel issues are now on the back burner. I was able to get the scanner in it with it not running and ICP is only 383 PSI, IPR duty cycle at 75%. 

Does anyone remember the tool number for the IPR tester? 

20 hours ago, lmorris said:

Does anyone remember the tool number for the IPR tester? 

If you don't have it you can't get it as it is no longer available - the kit number is TKIT-2004M-F

This kit includes:

• 303-1135 - Test Stand, Injector Pressure Regulator Valve
  • 303-1136 - Pump, Fluid

I know I have one at the dealer... I don't remember it EVER being used.

I do remember using the high pressure oil hose block off and ICP adapter tools to check for leaks in each cylinder head and also to dead-head the pump The cable number is T94-50-A and I the adapter is D-94T-600A. 

303-s626-s_1.jpg

9 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

I do remember using the high pressure oil hose block off and ICP adapter tools to check for leaks in each cylinder head and also to dead-head the pump The cable number is T94-50-A and I the adapter is D-94T-600A. 

303-s626-s_1.jpg

Yeah. What he says. Grab the block off tools and go to work. My guess is crap ipr since it’s intermittent. Just make sure the nut is tight on the ipr valve first. I think the block off plugs we have are that blackish color that otc used for everything. 

Other thing to remember is to check icp voltage not just pressure. 

On 4/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, 8WA Sman said:

Did you see if it runs with the ICP disconnected?

What about the IPR nut being tight?

Disconnecting the ICP did nothing. IPR nut is tight. We were unable to get any of the tools, so we are going to replace the IPR and see what happens.

17 hours ago, 8WA Sman said:

Sometimes cold water will wake up a IPR.

I used to use snow in the winter. Saved me from freezing on the walk back a few times.

Next update: IPR did not fix it. We are still searching for block-off tools. Funny thing is, if I let it idle it will run forever. Once it gets hot it will start to lose ICP, I can watch the IPR go up and ICP does not. It never stalls when driving. It has to come down to idle first, then on acceleration it will stall. When it's running there are no mis-fires. Let it sit and it fires right up like nothing is wrong. Base oil pressure is good and never drops. Fuel pressure is good and never drops off.  I have never seen a 7.3L with a leak in the heads act this way before, that is why we are focusing on the HPOP. It can't be a supply restriction to the HPOP because it's a gravity feed system.