Cordless Tools

Rate this topic

It seems as though most techs are using cordless tools now. I have observed this has become more popular in the last 5 years and of course I have been holding off, mostly due to budget concerns. With that said, maybe 6 months ago I finally decided to go in that direction with a Milwaukee 1/4" ratchet. Love it! Then my 3/8" Snap-On air ratchet snapped in two. Thought about it and decided to get a Milwaukee 3/8" stubby impact and some larger  capacity batteries as that would be more useful with regard of the work I do. Love it. So the broken air ratchet has been gnawing at me... so I am going to pick up the Milwaukee 3/8" extended head cordless ratchet because I find myself CONSTANTLY using the 1/4" ratchet for things I really should be using a 3/8"

Just wondering what you guys are using. Reasons for your choices, good things about them and yes, that bad too.

All the Milwaukee 12 volt brushless tools have been solid for me. I still have an older Snap On 14.4 drill driver with an adjustable clutch that I do not plan on getting rid of. Not sold on the Milwaukee stuff with electric clutch or any electric clutch that I have researched.

The Milwaukee 2564-20 is a special application tool that is a life saver for sway bar brackets on FWD vehicles. I mostly use the 2.0 and 4.0 batteries. The 6.0 batteries take awhile to charge with normal rate charger and I am not sold on the quick charger.

I used to run snap-on cordless impacts till the old nicad batteries all died. Now we run milwaukee both at home and at work. Impacts are 18 volts in both 3/8 and 1/2. I’ve trashed 2 of the 3/8 ones already under warranty. I just recently bought the 1/4 ratchet and the 3/8 ratchet. I have enough batteries that charging isn’t an issue. I’m looking at a caulk gun as my next purchase. Sick of squeezing out silicone for oil pans and front covers. 

You can count me in on the cordless tool bandwagon too. And it's funny that Milwaukee seems to be the popular choice too.....as I now have FIVE in my arsenal....and more to come!!! The most used tool I have, is my 1/2" drive gun. The weight of this thing is pretty heavy I must admit....but the added convenience of NOT having to connect an air line to it makes it well worth it!!! My 3/8" ratchet and stubby guns are so compact and powerful it makes doing any type of engine work an absolute breeze! About the only thing I use my air line for anymore, is the check/fill tire pressures. The thing I'm noticing in just about everyone's world is, there doesn't seem to be enough AC power outlets or USB ports to go around for everyone. Anyone noticing that everyone needs to have power bars everywhere, just to extend the number of AC outlets available? My Snap-On air tools, now sit in my toolbox unused for the most part.

I've had a Snap-on 3/8 cordless ratchet for 2 1/2 years now. Had it rebuilt once and needs a rebuild again. I was thinking of going with a different brand and I am now convinced I will switch to Milwaukee. I also have a 3/8 Snap-on impact that I am very happy with. Still using my Dewalt 1/2 inch air impact though. For $124.00, that thing is a beast, I am very reluctant to give it up. We have work benches with a power strip that runs the length of it. I have access to 5 outlets, so power here is not an issue. 

Those with the Milwaukee tools, are they the "Fuel" brand? Is there a noticeable difference between the 1.5 and the 2 aH batteries?

1 hour ago, lmorris said:

Those with the Milwaukee tools, are they the "Fuel" brand? Is there a noticeable difference between the 1.5 and the 2 aH batteries?

The FUEL version is the only version I'll buy so I can't really say for sure. All I can say though, is my 3/8 drive compact gun is powerful enough to snap bolts off if I'm not careful about how I regulate the trigger. Don't ask me how I know!

The Fuel version is more powerful and use brush less motors.

Milwaukee can have multiple part numbers for what may appear to be the same tool. If you need any part numbers of what I use just let me know. Another reason I like the batteries I listed are for tool balance. I also feel they have the best amp/weight/cost ratio. Sometimes I put in a different battery based on the task.

I have not found a cordless 1/2 that has the power/weight/low vibration factor to match my Snap-on MG....If anyone has something I am all ears.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been a classic tool guy, you know not much for change. This would include red tool boxes and air tools. I had to pull the powertrain out of a salvage truck yesterday at a friends garage. About the only air tools to be found were air hammers and die grinders. I must say I was quite happy not having an air hose wrapped around my ankles and such, esp. in the interior (I was pulling the cab on a '99 Super Duty). All the tools I used had plenty of power and the batteries lasted the whole time I was there with no issues. The 1/2 impact was a bit heavy though. These were all Milwaukee Fuel units. My favorite item was the little light for the air ratchet, a definite plus!

I have considered getting a set but I plan on retiring from the industry and I probably will pass on any new tool purchases.

6 minutes ago, Brad Clayton said:

I must say I was quite happy not having an air hose wrapped around my ankles and such, esp. in the interior. All the tools I used had plenty of power and the batteries lasted the whole time I was there with no issues. The 1/2 impact was a bit heavy though. These were all Milwaukee Fuel units. My favorite item was the little light for the air ratchet, a definite plus!

For all the reasons above, is exactly why I've jumped on the bandwagon of buying and using Milwaukee Fuel cordless tools for all my repairs. My neighbor tech even bit the bullet and bought a Snap-On cordless 1/2" drive gun and it lasted only a year! And we all know how much Snap-On tools cost. I won't disagree that the Milwaukee 1/2" drive is a little heavy to use with the battery pack connected, but not having to drag around an air line connected to whatever tool I'm using makes it well worth it. So far, it has held up extremely well through two tire swap seasons and counting. I'm now debating on whether or not I should be getting another power bar and more chargers to install on my workbench.

Here in the South, we were shorts about 10 months out of the year and I can't stand to have a frickin' dirty ass air hose rub on my legs, looks like I got whipped with a hickory switch dipped in charcoal. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:05 AM, mchan68 said:

For all the reasons above, is exactly why I've jumped on the bandwagon of buying and using Milwaukee Fuel cordless tools for all my repairs. My neighbor tech even bit the bullet and bought a Snap-On cordless 1/2" drive gun and it lasted only a year! And we all know how much Snap-On tools cost. I won't disagree that the Milwaukee 1/2" drive is a little heavy to use with the battery pack connected, but not having to drag around an air line connected to whatever tool I'm using makes it well worth it. So far, it has held up extremely well through two tire swap seasons and counting. I'm now debating on whether or not I should be getting another power bar and more chargers to install on my workbench.

How does that work with torque sticks? Or did you buy a one-key impact?

On 6/25/2021 at 11:34 AM, forddieseldoctor said:

How does that work with torque sticks? Or did you buy a one-key impact?

It has worked extremely well. No issues with under or over torquing whatsoever.

21 minutes ago, Keith Browning said:

I thought torque sticks were frowned upon now? Too many variables on the power tools or something like that. 

We still check wheels with a torque wrench after the car is on the ground. That became shop policy about 6 or 7 years ago.

But for the record it is amazing how much difference there is from wheel to wheel when you check the torque on some vehicles. 11 and up explorers seem to be the worst. 

2 minutes ago, forddieseldoctor said:

We still check wheels with a torque wrench after the car is on the ground. That became shop policy about 6 or 7 years ago.

But for the record it is amazing how much difference there is from wheel to wheel when you check the torque on some vehicles. 11 and up explorers seem to be the worst. 

On the vehicles that have aftermarket rims with those flimsy style wheel nuts requiring use of that special socket, I most definitely torque those by hand with the vehicle on the ground. Funny you mention '11 and up Explorers. I've been doing very regular oil changes and tire rotations without ever having any issues. Of course, there are those techs that just have to go three rounds of "ugga uggas" with the gun before they stop.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, forddieseldoctor said:

I picked up a milwaukee 12 volt caulk gun today. I’ll let you guys know how it works with silicone once I get to use it. 

I’ve had a chance to use it a couple times. I’m running between 1 and 2 for speed. It’s great for the bigger items but you have to have the discipline to keep moving. Because if you let go of the trigger it backs up the pusher 1/8 inch and at the low speeds it takes a bit to start pushing silicone again. I still throw the tube into my mechanical gun for jobs that needs a spot or two such as valve covers or front covers that have gaskets.