Low power with no dtcs.

Rate this topic

Check codes. No codes stored koeo, no codes koer. Test drove monitoring fpr actual and desired and no issues were seen. Checked base fuel pressure and found that it did not drop below 5psi while driving. Removed air filter and inspected for water intrusion and no issues were found. Dpf soot load shows to be in spec and no regeneration needed. Replaced fuel filters and checked fuel quality. Allowed fuel filter to set over night and found no crystals in fuel. Found some light metal debris in the fuel filter cap. Removed the fuel metering valve from the high pressure pump and did not see any excessive metal contamination in the screen. When the vehicle gets under a heavy load there is a power loss and engine will surge. Loaded up engine and checked charge air cooler system for leaks with soapy water. Verified that air intake hose was not collapsing under load. Swapped in known good maf sensor. Performed 2 regen and soot percentage is at 0% Have not disconnected exhaust at turbo for test drive but did disconnect it at bottom of down pipe with no changes. Has new turbo. Cac has been removed and inspected for internal issues. Im leaning towards some form of contamination inside of the injectors or a frp sensor that is lying at higher psi but I know that this is a long shot.

Believe it or not I have not had to diagnose any drivability concerns with Transits - with that said, your concern would probably be best approached going after the surging and in my experience air management problems are usually the cause. Like EGR or the turbo but if I was in your shoes with this one I would start with a road test and make some recordings looking at your pressure sensors and the EGR and VGT actuators to see what may be changing with the surge.  Also, when you tested for intake and exhaust leaks what did you use?

I finally got it squared away I believe. The egrt sensor is going high after it gets to 900 degrees and will jump to 1300 to 1700 degrees. Not a clue why no dtcs were being set. Will install sensor tomorrow and update when fix is verified. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BTURNER said:

The egrt sensor fixed it.

Is that EGRT sensor A we're talking about? The one requiring continuous heat to the manifold to remove?

I have replaced two of those and both set a code and turned on the CK Engine light.  I also discovered the right socket to use after cutting the sensor wires off with no disassembly and removal of that heat shield. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Browning said:

I have replaced two of those and both set a code and turned on the CK Engine light.  I also discovered the right socket to use after cutting the sensor wires off with no disassembly and removal of that heat shield. 

17mm?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

I think it was 17. You can get in there with a crows foot but I couldn't break it loose 

Not without heat?