F150 Lightning

Rate this topic

forddieseldoctor

I got to take my dealership’s F150 Lightning home this last weekend. I’m impressed with it, but not impressed enough with it to shell out the 81k listed on the sticker. It seemed like everywhere I went someone noticed it was the electric one and wanted to look at it. 

My wife seems interested in one. Paying $130 to fill up her '19 Explorer every four days seems like a bother to her. I personally, would develop anxiety taking it on long road trips, is what would prevent me from buying one more than the price itself.

I was having a discussion with an electrician awhile back when having A/C installed in my house. He asked me if I was planning on getting a hot tub or electric vehicle in the near future. Turns out that most houses are not set up electrically to handle the extra load of a 220V charging station. Most city infrastructures are also not set up. There is going to be some major reworking to accommodate a raise in electric vehicles on the road.

That is one problem that no one wants to talk about. The charger for the extended range F150 is 80 amps. Most older houses around here still run a 100 amp main unless they were upgraded. I don’t even think my 200 amp service would handle an extra 80 amps.

The electrician who installed our pair of 40 amp chargers at work had to come back and re-work a sub panel because the charger had too much of a load for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to add a second service to my house due to the location of my service. It is on the opposite side of the house and running wires would be difficult.  The cost is totally prohibitive. I charge my hybrid using a 120 outlet at the garage.