C7 in F250-F550??

Rate this topic

DamageINC

So lately there's been a lot of speculation on things like Ford & Navistar (Not necessarily because of their recent slap-fest) and the idea of a CAT engine in one of these has been tossed around..

Personally, I would imagine that the C7 is a pretty damn big and heavy engine for the Light-Duty truck platforms, a 7.2 straight 6 weighing over 1,400 lbs isn't exactly gonna slide right in, I think. But I was talking to an old friend of mine who happens to have a relatively important position at Caterpillar and I mentioned that I'd heard rumors of some kind of possibilities of the C7 in our trucks...

...She basically said that she's hearing the same thing from very credible sources at her company as well.

Wouldn't this be interesting???

Dave

Quite interesting. When I was recently at CAT for emissions certification the instructor made a glancing comment about this. I had a Super Crewzer in yesterday for a service and I was eying up the C7 for size. I don't think it is really that big and not much different than the Cummins engine in that chassis. As for weight, if the CAT engine is 1400 lbs that cant be too much more than a 6.0L, no? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

The C7 is not much heavier than the 6.0/6.4. I have been looking into putting a 3126(the C7s older brother) into one of these pick-ups. My research so far says that it will not be that hard. In fact it will be much easier than you might think. I used to work for a cat dealer and the C7 is a pretty good engine. We had some injector issues at the beginning, but now they have cleared it up I think. I for one would be first in line if I could get a kitty in my super-duty. Just my opinion.

The guy from fordcummins.com might have some advice for you. He is a member here but I haven't seen him around lately... but then again, I don't know what his username is.

Go over to http://www.fordcummins.com/ and see if there is any info that might help in changing over from a Power Stroke or gasser.